09 May 2010

The Seven Fingers-PSY

I went to see this in-cred-ible show called PSY performed by a troupe called The Seven Fingers. Warning: this may sound a little hokey, but it was amazing. Think Cirque de Soleil, but with the performers actually trying to say something. The point of the show was to use amazing acrobatics to help people understand what having certain mental illnesses feels like. See, it sounds hokey. But watch this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Syyy8XkE-u8&feature=related

Seriously, it so blew my mind. It really did touch me and help me understand a little better, I think. One thing that they represented is that people with mental disorders feel so isolated and alone and trapped. They represented people who hear voices, have multiple personalities, explosive anger, amnesia, insomnia, hypochondria, addiction, and mania. They used a teeter board, a Chinese pole, trapeze, amazing solo and group juggling, and some general acrobatics among other things. This is all on a stage in a theater, so everything looked extra spectacular in that small of a space, I think.

And just so's we don't get too serious, many of the acrobats took their shirts off to display their amazing bodies. And their bodies were amazing. (Sorry, I don't have any pictures.)

2 comments:

  1. Looks like something right up my alley. Did you think about me while you were there. You should be thinking about me every day cause you are pretty much in my favorite place in all the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't help but think about you, no matter where I am.

    ReplyDelete