02 May 2010

Macbeth

I know I spoke a bit about Macbeth already, but now I have some pictures. The Globe is a replica of Shakespeare's Globe. This means that no matter from which position you see the play, you will probably be uncomfortable. Fortunately, I didn't have to stand, but there was a big post in my way (see photo below) so I missed seeing a lot of speeches and bloody arms reaching out of the bottom of the stage. Yes, bloody arms. There was a lot of blood. Tongues getting cut out, stabbing, throat cutting, etc.




The staging was rather unusual with audience participation. As you can see below, they had a big lycra tarp with holes for audience member's heads. (The man with the white hair who's not in the tarp is one of our directors.) They were basically supposed to represent the dead in hell. I think they felt like they were in hell at one point when it began to hail (yes hail) then POUR rain. Buckets and buckets.



The music was also very interesting and amazing. There were about 6 musicians who played the bagpipes and about 8 different kinds of weird, other worldly flutes. None of the instruments seemed to be in the same key. It was dissonant and at times very creepy. It was fantastic.

2 comments:

  1. Seriously, heads in a tarp???? I am so excited about your blog. You better keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We get your head in that trap when you come.

    ReplyDelete