23 May 2010

Grasmere Food


We didn't anticipate amazing food in Grasmere, but we sure got it. We only ate at two restaurants. The first was the Travellers Inn was pub on our way into town. We first stopped there because it was the closest, but our experience was as such that we were drawn back. It doesn't hurt that they were open later than everything else in Grasmere. First, I just had some tomato vegetable soup, which was actually just okay. But Shelby got this delicious sandwich that she let me try. There was chicken and pesto. 'Nuf said.
Then we had two desserts: Chocolate bread pudding and banana creme brulee. Let's just say if all bread pudding tasted like this, it would be a constant part of my diet. The texture was firm but very moist and although it looks too rich to handle, it was a perfect amount of chocolate/other ratio.
For our second meal there, I had to get a steak. I realized that since I've been in London I've pretty much become a vegetarian. This made me sad. This steak was rare, and delicious. There was also a marinated portabello mushroom that was so tender and tangy, and the onion rings were the best I've ever had. They had a sweet flavor that made me want more. They only gave me three.
Shelby had this plum stuffed chicken wrapped in bacon that was also quite divine. There were these cooked plums on the side that were to die for. Just a little tart and a lot delicious.
The other restaurant was called Baldry's. They made all their own baked goods from local ingredients whenever possible. Our waiter was so sassy and covered in tattoos. He loved being funny, but he didn't really love it when we were funny back. He wanted the spotlight in a he's-used-to-being-the-charming-clever-one way. (I think my color settings were weird when i took these. Everything looks too pink.)

My first meal there consisted of a hamburger with tea. An excellent combination, if I do say so myself.
The cheese on the burger was AMAZING! It was a hard, white cheese with a lot of tang and flavour. And the coleslaw? Forget about it. There's something different about British mayonnaise, I don't know what it is but it's so much better than U.S. mayonnaise. It's lighter and tastes fresher in a way...hard to describe. I almost forgot the beets! So earthy and sweet. I didn't try the other dishes that everyone ordered, but they looked amazing. Shelby is a BLT connoisseur and she said her BLT is the best she's ever had in her life.
The next day I just went ahead and ordered a smoked salmon and cream cheese sandwich. Delish! Two of the girls bought this sticky gingerbread cake and I about died and went to heaven. It was so moist with fresh ginger that kicked just enough. (I'll have to get a picture from one of the other girls.) I asked the waiter for the recipe, but he refused. He resisted all my charm and cunning. I don't understand how that's even possible.

4 comments:

  1. you say moist a lot in this...it makes me slightly uncomfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmm moist!!

    I want that bread pudding!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That steak is not of the free range child sort, is it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The best food I had in Britain was Japanese food (that is if you are not counting chocolate) - I am glad to see things are improving ;-)

    ReplyDelete