12 May 2010

A Long Walk and the London Eye

Lexy and Shelby and I decided that we needed to walk to more places, just to get more of a sense of London. So, today we walked for about an hour to get to the London Eye, we saw some fun things along the way, and we didn't get lost once. We passed through Green Park where we saw more elephants. Wait, I haven't talked about the elephants. There are elephants all around the city as some sort of campaign to save elephant herds in India. They commissioned all sort of artists to do them and some of them are very fun. I have more pictures somewhere that I'll post.

Next we came across a guard band doing exercises in a courtyard by Buckingham Palace. The band consisted of about 30 fife players and 10 drums. It was amazing. A bunch of grown men in uniform with large tattoos playing fifes, yes please.

We walked across Westminster Bridge to get to the Eye. It was so crowded and filled with tourists that had no concept of personal space. My favorite. But we got our first sight of the eye.

And a nice picture with Big Ben.

So we buy our tickets and they herd us into a dark room and FORCE us to watch this 4-D movie. As you may know, I can't see 3-D, and 4-D was right out. It was just a big commercial for the Eye, which we had already bought tickets to ride. I complained to Shelby and Lexy a little too much. I know, shocker. This is them feeling trapped in a dark room.

Then we had to wait in line to actually get on the Eye. There was this Spanish guy in line that tried to talk to us a couple of times. He'd just rattle off in Spanish and use hand gestures to make us understand. It was kind of great. I took a sly picture of him.


Finally we made it onto the Eye. It was pretty neat.





2 comments:

  1. I am glad you are a writer. I love reading what you write.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its nice to see that you and London have something in common... xoxo

    ReplyDelete