11 June 2012

Trailer Tuesday: Wallflowers and Buttons

Welcome to the angsty teen, coming of age, it's hard to be a kid Trailer Tuesday.

I'm interested to see what the youth cast of Harry Potter actually do with their acting careers. Who knows if they're even good at anything but the characters they played for years and years. I know Daniel Radcliffe has had a lot of work, but it's all felt neither here nor there. I also know that Emma Watson has had a few projects, the second of which is coming out this year in the form of The Perks of Being a Wallflower. (Apparently she was in My Week with Marilyn, but I haven't seen it. Have you? Is it good?)

I have the most hope for Emma Watson to be a brilliant and successful actor. She seems the most skilled and driven thus far. The only complaint (that isn't really a complaint) I have so far is that even based on this preview I can tell her American accent needs some work. But I may be one of the few who notices because I have a high interest in dialects. But I digress and digress some more. What I'm really saying is that The Perks of Being a Wallflower looks sweet and interesting enough that I'll give it a go at the dollar theater, which really doesn't cost a dollar anymore, but it sounds better than the three dollar theater. Also, Paul Rudd.



On to War of the Buttons. This film is based on the book La Guerre des boutons (1912) by Louis Pergaud. It was first adapted into film by the French in 1962, then the Irish took a stab at it in 1994, and now the French have adapted a new version this year. I've seen the 1994 version, which was light-hearted and delightful. I don't know about the book or the 1962 version, but the new adaptation looks much darker and serious (because it has Nazis), but it still looks good. I want to read the book, so if I can find it in English at my library I'll let you know if it's worth a read. Side note: I love 40s and 50s European boys' clothes and all those sweaters with short pants, socks, and shoes.


And just for kicks, here's the 1994 trailer.



And the 1962 trailer is more like a hilarious black and white French music video. My favorite bit is at about 2:00.

No comments:

Post a Comment