05 June 2012

Trailer Tuesday: A Cat in Paris and The Illusionist

It's traditional animation day today. First is the new-to-wider-audiences-in-America A Cat In Paris. I know nothing about this movie aside what I've seen from the trailer, but the trailer looks great. The first video is the trailer in it's original French with subtitles, and the second has been dubbed with English.



Is is just me or does the English dubbing ruin the slinky, mysteriousness of the French version? The English dubbing seems loud, stiff, and clunky. I hope I can see it in the original French with subtitles. A little reading never killed no one.

Side note: Did you notice that the bad guy's voice in the English version is British? There's been linguistic research and studies on this very topic. It's funny how we as Americans still sometimes demonize the British even though the Revolutionary War ended over 200 years ago. Just think about the other British villains in American film, from Aladdin and The Lion King to Die Hard and Star Wars. Just keep your ears peeled and you'll notice it more and more. I mean, we certainly have enough villainy in America to cover the villain category, so why keep torturing the British? They certainly have their own problems.

Next I bring you The Illusionist that hit screens in 2010. As you can tell from the preview, The Illusionist has a nice subtle humor. But what the trailer doesn't convey is the deep vein of melancholy and and sense of loss that are present in the film. It is incredibly worth while, and I highly recommend it. (It's made by the same director who did The Triplets of Belleville, another fantastic animated delight.)

2 comments:

  1. Ugh! I *hate* English dubbing. It's rubbish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We recently watched The Secret World of Arrietty, and when I looked it up later, I found that there is a UK dubbed version as well (with Mark Strong, nonetheless)! If you're going to dumb it once in the UK, can't we just leave it at that?

    Also, I enjoyed the Illusionist, but it was also so depressing that I don't know that I can ever watch it again (unlike The Triplets of Belleville).

    ReplyDelete