30 May 2012

Whoopsies

I forgot to write a post last night. Maybe it's because I lost all sense of time somehow and started making cookies and doing laundry at 10:30 p.m. without realizing it was 10:30 p.m. Usually I'm getting ready for bed at that time, because somehow I still think that going to bed before midnight will help me sleep better. It never, ever does. But going to bed at 1 a.m. kind of makes my not sleeping seem worser.

The point: in lieu of writing one of my well thought out and thoroughly researched rants or sharing a pretty from my internet travels or otherwise schooling you on life, I'm giving you Trailer Wednesday! Because it's begun, people. The official hype-machine for Les Miserables the movie musical with Hugh Jackman, Russel Crow, and (sigh) Anne Hathaway. Sometimes I feel like Anne Hathaway and Scarlett Johansson are collectively ruining my life. They are generally such clunky screen presences. But, based on this trailer, I have a spark of hope that this will be one of Hathaway's exceptions. 


The quality of this link is a little better. http://trailers. apple.com/trailers/universal/lesmiserables/

I have been familiar (memorized at a young age) with the music from Les Mis (as the kids call it) for about as long as I can remember, but I didn't actually see the show until two years ago when I was lucky enough to see it in London with my sister Sara. Despite a bit of sketchy talent (I'm looking at you Marius), I loved the show. I hope the movie can, in the very least, stand up to the stage performance.

I'm aslo shocked that my very conservative parents never stopped me from listening to the scandalous song "Lovely Ladies." Huh.

2 comments:

  1. Oh boy, oh boy. What to say about this. Too many things! First of all, I am so glad that this trailer doesn't look terrible. Few movies could break my heart like a bad film rendition of Les Mis. Second, I agree about Anne Hathaway - here's hoping she doesn't ruin the movie.

    Also, I thought your comment about Marius was interesting, because I never even thought he was an important character until I saw a production with a GREAT Marius. Sadly, someone important caved and cast one of the Jonas brothers for the 25th Annversary concert. I don't begrudge any Disney kids any of their success, but he was completely overpowered by every other artist on stage.

    Lastly: Hugh Jackman. I always think of Valjean as being older and more fatherly, but I do feel like he'll be able to pull it off.

    Thanks for making my morning more exciting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome!

      I actually haven't seen that anniversary version yet, I was too afeared of the Jonas factor.

      I saw a picture of Hugh Jackman as Jean Valjean and the aging make up looks fantastic. He actually looks more worn out and aged by trials than actual old age. It really is perfect.

      Delete