24 May 2012

Actor Highlight: Robert Loggia!

Robert Loggia has pretty much been working steadily since the mid-50s, but you probably don't remember him from much. You may know him as MacMillan (the boss) from Big with Tom Hanks, or as Angelo in Return to Me, but really his speciality seems to be "guest star" on TV shows from here to Timbuktu: Gunsmoke, Magnum P.I., The Bionic Woman, Kojak, Columbo, both renditions of Hawaii Five-0, and on and on for over 200 appearances.
This is the closest thing to a smile that I could find.
I'm enamored with his craggy Italian face, his white hair, and his gravely, gravely voice. I don't remember when I first started recognizing Robert Loggia, but I can pinpoint the day that he was endeared into my heart forever. It was the day that I saw him in an orange juice commercial in 1998. (You read that right.)


The ridiculous premise, the smart mouth little kid, the dumbest look ever on the mom's face, the saunter in the back door, it all adds up to a perfect delight. What little kid even knows who Robert Loggia is? My sister Anna and I quote this commercial to this day.

If you haven't seen Return to Me, I highly recommend it. The quartet of "old guys" is pure-dee gold,; then you've got your David Duchovny, Minnie Driver, Bonnie Hunt, and James Belushi, and David Alan Grier making comedy magic; plus it's the last thing that Carroll O'Connor made before he died. In the video below skip to 19:45 and watch for about a minute to see a great Robert Loggia moment; he's in the  blue striped shirt. (Warning: there is one swear.)

No comments:

Post a Comment