17 April 2012

Trailer Tuesday: Looper & A Fantastic Fear

I like sci-fi stuff, especially when it doesn't include aliens. (I like aliens sometimes, but heavily make-upped or CGI aliens are often more distracting than entertaining.) Enter Looper starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Bruce Willis, and Emily Blunt. I'm a fan of all these actors, but I have a special affinity for Bruce Willis. It always surprises me how much I love him. But I digress.

What makes Looper especially exciting for me as a sci-fi movie is the combination of futuristic ideas with old or vintage elements, not unlike the sci-fi westerns Firefly and Serenity. This combination is easier to relate to than the typical sterile slickness of films set in the future. It's also easier for an audience to buy the premise and suspend disbelief, because there is comfort in seeing the familiar of the past and present among the unfamiliar of the future.

I'm looking forward to September.




Late entry: Last night I stumbled on the recently released trailer (in the U.S.) for A Fantastic Fear of Everything. I first heard about the film about a week ago from my friend Seth, because we both have a deep, abiding love for Simon Pegg. Based on the preview, it looks like a Jean-Pierre Jeunet film on acid; meaning it's fanciful, but in a darker, twisted way. Just the way I like it. No release date for the U.S. yet, but based on the June 8 U.K. release I'm guessing we'll see it in the fall.

And I hope that is Simon Pegg's real hair.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you! I do so look forward to your trailers! The first one looks very intriguing, and has a good cast. The Simon Pegg film looks delightful - I will go see it in June and tell you what I think. I hope it's his real hair too!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was hoping you would volunteer to watch it and report back. Maybe you should do a guest post and review it! I would love that!

      Delete