02 April 2012

Rant: Bad Pedestrians

I live in a large college town, so there are loads of pedestrians. But they're not savvy pedestrians that you'd find in a large city like NYC. No, the pedestrians in college towns are more like entitled cattle. They mosey into the street with thoughts not unlike a cow's.

"What are cars?"

"I'm not in danger, I'm a cow. Who would hurt a cow?"

"I'm going to eat AND talk to my friend cow on my cell phone AND walk across this busy street."

"I see how close you are car, but I'm going to step into the street anyway, make you screech to a stop, and walk as slowly as possible, maybe even stop to tie my shoe, for I AM COW!"

Do college pedestrians have no sense of self-preservation or even self-awareness? Let's face it, there are bad drivers and responsible drivers, but not one perfect driver. And if the driver is distracted or makes a mistake and collides with a pedestrian, who do you think will have bruises, road rush, gashes, and broken bones in the best case scenario? But if pedestrians are aware of their surroundings, it can only help their chances of reaching their destination injury and death free.

So my dear pedestrians, it will never hurt to look both ways (even in a crosswalk), to put your call on hold so you can pay attention, to be aware if a car is too close to stop, or to even do a courtesy jog and wave when a car stops for you.

Rant complete. For now.


5 comments:

  1. You need to move to the suburbs where everyone drives and no one walks, like us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok. But where can I buy 2.5 kids so I'll fit in?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen. I think I saw someone yesterday that had been hit by a car and just an hour before that some people walked in front of my car without a single glance. (I thought these skills were taught in first grade??) I am a careful driver, and I try to be courteous to pedestrians, but even I have almost hit a pedestrian before. It's scary. They need to BE AWARE.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've even heard stories where pedestrians have caused car accidents by stepping into the street before looking, but said pedestrian wasn't hit.

    ReplyDelete