05 April 2012

Ode to Doris Day

I love Doris Day.

First of all, her voice is amazing. If you've only her her sing "Que Sera Sera," do yourself a favor and listen to anything else she sings. 

Like this. And this was one of her biggest hits. And please tell me you've heard this

Second of all, I've never seen a star or other person that has the same personal qualities that she has. She is feminine, but she also has a distinct air of tomboy about her; she's not delicate, but she's not clunky either; she's often a goof, but she's never ridiculous; and to top it off, it amazes me how she always come across as genuine and how much joy can radiate from her face.




There's a bit of buzz out there about her right now, because in honor of her 88th birthday Turner Classic Movies is playing a great deal of Ms. Day's movies on their channel this month, they've released a special box set of her movies, and they released a new album of her love songs. (All Doris Day merch is on sale at TCM.com.) Ms. Day even did a rare interview with Teri Gross from NPR's Fresh Air.
Doris Day and Rock Hudson from Pillow Talk
Of her movies that I've seen, my favorites include That Touch of Mink, Calamity Jane (it's pretty silly), The Man Who Knew Too Much, and Pillow Talk. (Please don't watch The Pajama Game, it's one of the worst movies I've ever seen, and her only total flub as far as I can tell.)


Don't you love that giant sequin bow?

I watched Ms. Days' Lullaby of Broadway for the first time last night, and there was an absolutley charming dance number involving a set of glass doors. She's dancing with Gene Nelson, who you may recognize as cowboy Will Parker from Oklahoma! Unfortunately I couldn't find a video that included a reprise of the glass door dance by the two older men watching.



And finally here are some Doris Day facts you may not know:

1) Ms. Day was first discovered as a partnered dancer. Sadly he was in a terrible car accident that shattered her leg, and the leg took several years to heal. Although she always sang, it was while she was bed-ridden that she really began to sing in earnest.

2) She currently lives in Carmel, California, and her home is basically an animal shelter. At one point she had over 30 dogs, not to mention other animals, at her home.

3) According to TCM.com, Ms. Day still holds the record for the top female box-office star of all time.

4) One of her husbands, who was also her manager, squandered all her earnings and left her deeply in debt. There was a huge lawsuit with subsequent lawsuits that followed for years.

5) She got to kiss Howard Keel in Calamity Jane. Lucky. (Not to mention James Garner, Rock Hudson, and Cary Grant.)

6) Her face is covered with freckles. I saw a candid picture of her once that displayed her glorious freckles. She was without make-up, the sun was shining through her for once under-styled hair, and she was laughing right into the camera. I've tried to find that picture many times since that first sighting, but I've had no luck. You can kind of get the idea with the picture below, and she obviously passed her freckles to her son.

13 comments:

  1. First of all, yes, the sequin bow is great! And you're right, she has a great voice. I am familiar with a lot of her songs (or at least a fair amount of them) but do you know, I've only ever seen her in "The Man Who Knew Too Much"! I'd better remedy this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you ever seen her in "Love Me or Leave Me"? It's about one of my favourite 20's singers, Ruth Etting. I haven't seen it. It looked so un-20s to me, that I couldn't make myself do it, but I'd be interested in your opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't, but I'll see if TCM is playing it so I can watch it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool. Thanks! I knew I could rely on you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE Ms. Day. I'm so glad you like Calamity Jane, Pillow Talk, and That Touch of Mink. I also agree that Pajama Game is not good, though I do own it. She is so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pajama Game IS the worst! And I've always loved her freckles. She's used as an example for the power of pancake makeup in the make up classes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I did not know that. It can be fact 7.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was going to say what Mairi said, I know lots of her music, but I'm pretty sure I've only seen 2-3 of her movies. Once you hit the 50's and 60's, Mairi and my movie watching becomes very hit-and-miss. I do, however, have very early memories of watching her with my oldest sister Heather. I have no idea what movie it is, but I loved the one where she sings "By the Light of the Silvery Moon." And I also remember being incredibly sad about the movie where she loses her son.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Morag, that movie is actually called "By the Light of the Silvery Moon." I haven't seen it yet, but it's currently sitting on my DVR waiting for me. And did you know that her only son died? So her life is as tragic as some of her movies.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Actually, PAJAMA GAME is a wonderful re-creation of a popular Broadway Show. If you like Broadway, there is no way you could not like this movie. It is one of only three Doris films based on Broadway shows. The others: "TEA FOR TWO" and "JUMBO". That said, I have followed her career since she started as a band singer in the early 40's. And now,I have become a newly-published author with a new book about Doris Day, but this time the story is about a correspondance that has endured over 60 years. "MY 'SECRET LOVE' AFFAIR WITH DORIS DAY" by Michael J DeVita is available NOW on www.amazon.com. Check out the reviews and read the story. Besides the 60 plus year story, the book's primary focus is on the music recorded by Doris Day and how that music affected the author's own life at various times in his career.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually love Broadway, and I was fully aware that "The Pajama Game" was a Broadway show. However, loving Broadway in general doesn't mean that I love all Broadway specifically. For me personally "The Pajama Game" didn't hold my attention, because I didn't connect with it at all. The highlight for me was "Hernando's Hideaway," and that was the obligatory "fun" song that doesn't have much to do with the story in general, but rather it's kind of quirky or hugely entertaining. And of course "Steam Heat" is a classic. I'll admit that it's be a long time since I've seen it, so I can't give a more detailed critique, so maybe I should revisit it.

      I loved "Tea for Two." After all, Gordon McRae is as almost hard to resist as Ms. Day. I've yet to see "Jumbo," but I'll check it out as soon as I can.

      Delete
  11. I personally LOVED the Pajama Game, but only when Doris Day is on screen - I loved her as Babe, and loved the interaction between Doris & John Raitt, but all the rest of the characters and the madcap antics I could definitely do without.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love"The Pajama Game". It's a taste of Broadway. It's filmed like a play...not like a movie. It was intended to be 'campy', loud, over done and over-acted, as if they were playing to the cheap seats. That was the tone of the film. Like "Grease" it may be hokey, but it is a ball to watch.

    ReplyDelete