10 April 2012

Trailer Tuesday: The Avengers and Amelie

It is time. Time to squee about The Avengers.

Commence: Squeeee!

Stop that, you sound silly.

I am seriously jazzed about this movie for a lot of reasons: Robert Downey, Jr., Jeremy Renner, and Mark Ruffalo are obvious pluses. And I loved Captain America and Iron Man, so I'm excited to see those title characters again. I also just read that Lou Ferrigno, the original television Hulk, did the voice of Hulk in The Avengers. I love full-circle (sort of) cameos like that. But even though I'm excited, I also have a few reservations:

1) Scarlett Johansson makes me nervous in regards to this film. It would be fine if she simply didn't add anything to films she's in, but for me she mostly detracts. (There are acceptions in Scoop and Lost in Translation.) Mostly I feel like she's there because of her boobs and her full lips.

2) I hated Thor, and I'm not excited to see the character of Thor again. There was so little character development in that movie, and there's only so many special effects that I can enjoy without other kinds of substance. I am not against effects, but I do believe there is room for effects and good story and character development in any movie. However, I did like Loki, so I suppose it wasn't a complete bust.

3) Speaking of special effects, I'm hoping and praying that The Avengers carries more than CGI and explosions. They're certainly required in this genre, but I hope they're not the end-all-be-all like in so many movies these days.

But however the film lands for me, I'm sure enjoying the previews.



Since I'm sure everyone has already seen trailers for The Avengers loads of times, I will give you a bonus! Congratulations! Here's a trailer for Amélie (2001), a French film that I truly adore and rewatch often. (In fact, I have adored all the films that I have seen by Jean-Pierre Jeunet.) Amélie stars the lovely Audrey Tautou, and it's melancholy, clever, charming, and off-beat. The Avengers it ain't.

No comments:

Post a Comment