26 April 2012

Best Friends Forever & Bridesmaids

It's been a bit of a weird week for me, so I haven't had the bare minimum amount of diligence and thoughtfulness that I like to maintain on my blog. Not that my standard is exceptionally high, but goals are important, no matter how low you aim. One weird thing from this week, I woke up yesterday and my bottom left lip was swollen to about twice it's size. No signs of a bite or infection, it didn't hurt at all, and it's gone now. See? Weird.

I know, I know, no one came here for reasons or excuses. On with the show.

Have you seen the new TV series Best Friends Forever? I was leery at first because TV shows that are geared specifically toward women are over-the-top drama or drivel based on stereotypes; I generally don't relate to them or find them funny or entertaining. But I'm finding Best Friends Forever not only entertaining, but part of a great trend in media geared toward or written by or produced by women.
Lennon Parham and Jessica St. Clair of Best Friends Forever.
Part of the trend includes dialoge and acting that feels loose and spontaneous and that actually reflects how conversations (at least my conversations) go in real life. The dialoge goes to weird places and makes unexpected connections, people burst out into song and awkward dance moves, and characters start to riff on something that isn't funny until they riff its face off and then it's hysterical.

Part of the trend includes female characters that deal with relatable and hard problems that are not just about "the man." And when the problems are "solved" throughout the movie or the episode, they're not wrapped up in shiny pink paper with a ribbon woven from happily-ever-afters on top. Instead the problems are acknowledged and the character makes progress and moves forward, but nothing is entirely solved. It all feels more natural and realistic.

Part of the trend includes leads that aren't sculpted, intimidating beauties. Both the men and the women look approchable and relatable. In fact I admit that I have a crush on Luka Jones who plays Joe, Lennon's boyfriend in BFF. He's just so adorable, and doughy, and slightly nerdy, and approchable, but he's not what one would consider "hot."

I saw this trend in Bridesmaids, too. Sure, there was over-the-top and gross humor, but the actual dialoge and emotional connections between the characters is more genuine than other comedies, romantic or otherwise. There's a scene where Kristen Wigg and Mia Rudolph are eating breakfast in a cafe. They talk about heavy things in a light way and they play with their food and make lame jokes. And it's kind of perfect. Here's part of the scene.

I can only hope this trend continues and stays fresh and entertaining. Your thoughts?

2 comments:

  1. A montage of every "burst of awkward dance moves" that's ever gone on between the two of us went through my head at the moment intended. I'm in.

    ReplyDelete