20 August 2012

The Soundtrack of Your Life

Via http://peopletoo.ru/index.html
I think about music almost as much as I listen to it. I concoct top ten lists in my head, I create themed playlists based on the tone of songs, moods, and lyrics, and I even think about how I can best describe my tastes in detail.

Along these lines, NPR recently posted a story about a project and story from The Guardian (a UK publication) called "Six Songs of Me." This project asks readers to pick six songs based on six criteria with the idea that the lists may somehow collectively begin to reveal why people feel strongly tethered to music. You can fill out the questionnaire here (I never finished because I couldn't find one of the songs and I can't decide about another yet), but the questions are as follows:

1. What was the first song you ever bought?
2. What song always gets you dancing?
3. What song takes you back to your childhood?
4. What is your perfect love song?
5. What song would you want at your funeral?
6. What is a song that makes you you?

I will spend more time thinking about my responses, and some of my responses may change, but here's what I came up with.

1. "Martha My Dear" by The Beatles
I have a very specific memory of going out to purchase my first CD around the age of 12. I was stressed out about it because I, of course, had very limited funds, so I wanted to get he most bang for my buck. I also remember thinking that I wanted to own all of The Beatles' albums, so I started with the White Album because it had the song with my name in it. (What? I was 12.) This wasn't the first music I ever owned (I had Care Bears record and a Michael Jackson cassette for sure), but it is the first music I purchased for myself. Funnily enough, I still don't own all of The Beatles' albums.

2. "Superstition" by Stevie Wonder
As soon as the twangy, funky guitar comes in at about the 10 second mark, I've gots to move.

3. "The Washington Post" by John Philip Sousa
My dad had a Boston Pops record of Sousa marches that he would often crank up on Saturday mornings to blast us out of our beds. Somehow I don't ever remember feeling grumpy about this, instead I associate it with fun dad time.

4. "The Story" by Brandi Carlile
I don't know if this is my "perfect" love song, but I surely love it, and sometimes it gives me chills.

5. "Home" by Bonnie Raitt
This probably isn't my final decision. In fact I've started a playlist dedicated to this question. Since I will be dead at my funeral and won't care what happens there, picking a funeral song feels unimportant in many ways, but at the same time it's a nice contemplative exercise. There's lots of directions you can go for a funeral song: funny, sad, life descriptive, spiritual, hopeful, or simply something beautiful. Other songs in the running at the moment are "Red River Valley" by Riders in the Sky, "I Am Weary" by The Cox Family, "Duettino-Sull’aria" from The Marriage of Figaro (it's about zephyrs and anticipated joy), and the hymn "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing."

6. I have no clue. My first inclination was "Spooky" by Classics IV (or Dusty Springfield), but it's hard to commit when one song is supposed to basically represent you. It's a tongue in cheek choice, which certainly suits me, but I'm still not sure. I almost feel as though someone else should pick a song that represents me. Suggestions are welcome, but may be rejected without impunity. (I've already rejected the joke of "Super Freak" by Rick James, so don't even bother.)

Even though I still can't respond to comments, I would LOVE to see what's on part or all of your lists. Are there any questions you would add to this list?

6 comments:

  1. 1. Though I'm pretty sure I bought N'sync's "No Strings Attached" album first, the first single I ever purchased was "Every Time We Touch." Freshman year in college, summed up in one song. Haha . . .
    2. "Since You've Been Gone", though the dancing consists mostly of jumping up and down and head banging. I even dance in the car when it comes on the radio. Oh oh oh!! I forgot! WAKA WAKA!! Best dance party song ever. Haha . . .
    3. I can't single one out, but Safety Kids and My Turn on Earth keep coming to my head. "The Golden Rule is a Terrific Tool! It helps you decide what to do! And did you know, though it doesn't show, there's a golden rule inside of you?! It says, 'Do unto others as you would have ooooooothers do to you!' Here, let me show you JUST how it works." Yep. Safety Kids and My Turn on Earth.
    4. "When You Say You Love Me," by Josh Groban. I have a pet peeve about love songs being all about the way someone looks or obsessing about their physical intimacy - songs like "This Kiss," "Kiss Me," "Just the Way You Are," "The Smile on Your Face/When You Say Nothing at All," etc. (Blech . . .even just typing the song titles makes me gag.) I don't know if "When You Say You Love Me" is perfect or not, but at least it says NOTHING about looks. It's about communication. SO much more important. :)(After listening to it, it's really about the impact saying I love you has on his feelings, even the physical reaction, but it never mentions what she looks like . . . so yeah. HAha)
    4a. I thought the next question was "wedding song" and though I'm not even sure I'll have a reception to play it at, I have a definite must. I probably won't marry the guy if he doesn't love this song as much as I do. "Make it With You" by Bread. Talk about working together to make your dreams come true. Awesome.
    5. My cousin played Chopin at my grandpa's funeral and it was so moving. I don't know too many Chopin pieces by heart, but throughout my life the piano has played a major role. I would love something gorgeous on the piano. Haha. . . or The Piano Guys arrangement of "Happy Together." :)
    6. I don't know what that even means. . . is it just asking for an influential song in my life? One that has had an impact? I think I sang "Confidence" every day for 2 months on my mission while I rode my bike in the rain, so I'd say that that's pretty influential, but not so much that it shaped my character or anything. I think the rain and the bike did more, well, and the Spirit. I like your tactic. What is a song that you think represents me? I wouldn't even begin to label you with a song, Martha.

    Thanks. That was fun.Haha :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally forgot about The Safety Kids! I don't remember one note of their songs, but I do remember a drawing in one of the booklets where a little girls is screaming "That's not my dad!" as an adult arm pulls her along. Yipes!

      Delete
  2. Allright, here goes. Mine are all subject to change as well:

    1. I remember going out to buy my first CD at Greywhale, and it was U2's Rattle and Hum. So, I'm gonna choose "All I Want is You." I'm pretty sure I played that one on repeat at least a million times.

    2. R E S P E C T. Nobody does it better than Aretha!

    3. I'm pretty sure you could name almost any 80's song and it would work. But I'm gonna have to choose "The Tide is High," by Blondie. It's the first song I really remember being deeply in love with.

    4. I think I'll just choose the song that Seth and I chose together. "The Nearness of You," by Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong. I still think it's kind of perfect.

    5. I've narrowed it down to two songs: a) "All My Life," by Echo and the Bunnymen, or b) "Earlies," by Trashcan Sinatras. The first one is a little more fitting, lyrics-wise. And I also think it's one of the most beautiful songs ever written. But the second one has always been incredibly moving to me. It's the one song I could listen to over and over again and never, ever get sick of.

    6. This one is nearly impossible. Maybe I'll just go for another Trashcan Sinatras song (since they're on my mind), and choose "Send for Henny." My close friends called me Henny after this song came out, so I really think of it as my song (since there are no songs with the name Morag in them). This one is most definitely subject to change though. I honestly can't come up with another option.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I sure do love Ella and Louis together. One of my top ten favorite songs is "Stars Fell on Alabama." Just in case you haven't heard it and for your convenience: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzGKm1XC_aY.

      Delete
    2. Morag, there are plenty of Gaelic songs with your name in it! :P

      Delete
  3. I am always thinking of what a soundrack to my life would be, so I'm going to try this too, though it's always hard for me to decide on things like this.
    1. I didn't have a first song that I bought, but I think the first album I bought (I was with Morag, so maybe she can verify this story?) was "Divine Comedy" by Milla (Jovovich). A little random, I'll admit.
    2. Zing! Went the Strings of my Heart (Lew Stone & his band)
    3. Ca' The Ewes (The Corries)
    4. These Foolish Things (Bryan Ferry)
    5. This one is hard, as I don't really want a funeral, but.. maybe "Be Still My Soul"?
    6. The Haunted House (The New Mayfair Dance Orchestra)

    ReplyDelete