03 August 2012

Project Runway: Welcome Back (or not) to the Runway

I’m still having problems with Blogger, but I can email myself posts and post things through my phone. It’s a little laborious, but I don’t have the time to figure out anything new right now. On the plus side it’s forcing me to learn a little more about HTML, which I’ve wanted to do for a while. So I’m going to try and post some images in this post, but it may or may not work. I also don’t know if I’ll be able to edit after I post it, so you might have to suffer through some failed HTML language instead of looking at pretty pictures.

This week in Project Runway was a team challenge mixed with Lexus and the Emmys and All-Star clients. There was a little too much going on in this challenge, and I kept forgetting that Lexus was even a part of it. I both look forward to and dread team challenges. I dread it because there’s always so much unnecessary drama and tension, which I understand most people who watch reality television want, but sometimes it stresses me out. But I look forward to team challenges because it usually forces contestants to be more genuine through a gauntlet of stress. For instance, Elena. She already gave hints of being a diva, but this week she felt so much pressure that she freaked out, she was rude and condescending to Buffi, about halfway through the challenge she started placing blame on everyone/thing but herself, and then she gave some song and dance about how she’s a diva because in Ukraine you have to be tough to get what you want. I’m pretty sure that’s true on some level wherever you go, but there’s a difference between being tenacious and tough and throwing tantrums.

Team Ven & Fabio’s Lexus navy dress for Kenley was nearly flawless in construction, and I’m gussing that is what pushed them into the win. For me it was pretty enough, I mean I love the 50s, but I think the judges were right in saying that it was not quite a red carpet look.

The others that I thought were top two worthy were Team Melissa & Dmitry with April and Team Buffi & Elena with Laura. Although April’s Lexus silver dress was not to my taste at all, it was perfect for April and it spoke to Melissa Dmitry’s aesthetics. Not only that, but they did an amazing job with the stretch charmeuse, which I can attest is one of the most difficult fabrics to work with, especially in a short time frame.


Even though Buffi & Elena didn’t click as a team, in the end the Lexus pink and black dress they made for Laura looked well thought out, well constructed, and polished. I may even have picked this one as the winner.


The judges picked Team Gunnar & Kooan’s Lexus white atrocity for the other top dress. I was appalled and shocked at this dress in the first place, then doubly so when it was in the top two. The fabric choice was awful, the construction was hideous, and their client was completely unsatisfied and embarrassed. Gunnar’s confidence definitely outweighs his talent. By far.


The judges did well in picking the bottom two. Team Christopher & Andrea with Anya and Team Raul & Alicia with Mila both had massive construction and design problems. From the sketch it looked like Anya’s Lexus brown dress was highly constructed on top and moving into a flowing skirt. But that is not what happened. It looked like Christopher put the boning in wrong and the bodice was not puffing but hulking out away from the body. It was almost like there were brown paper bags stuffed into the bodice of the dress. Then of course it wasn’t hemmed and nothing looked polished or finished properly. I’m very surprised one of them didn’t go home for this. Instead, Raul of Raul & Alicia went home for their under-designed (a rare thing on Project Runway) and poorly constructed boring mess. And there’s not much more to say about that.



I’m out of town next week. I don’t know if I’ll be able watch and post about Project Runway on Friday, but I might do little picture posts whilst I’m tooling around it Portland. Wooty-woot!

No comments:

Post a Comment