23 August 2012

SYTYCD for 22 August 2012


Hooray for the all stars! I love it when the all stars are on SYTYCD, however there were so many that I didn't recognize this go around! I'm not sad about that (mostly because Twitch was on), it was just odd since I've been watching from Season 2. Some contestants just stick in your mind better than others. Like Twitch. Oh, did I mention that Twitch was one of the All Stars, because he was.

Fine, I won't torture you with my abiding love for Twitch anymore. Stop rolling your eyes and yelling at me through your computer.

First of all, the guest judge, choreographer Benjamin Millepied, gave the best criticisms I've ever heard on the show. He was honest, kind, and helpful. Bonus: I also enjoyed his French inflected English.

There was no dance that was awful this time around, which I attribute to the all stars, but let's break it down.

Tiffany & All Atar (AS) Brandon pulled disco. It was okay for me--nothing terrible, nothing noteworthy. Her Audrey's costume was terrible with all those cut-outs and the short bellbottoms, except  in that one section of the dance where the lighting was reflecting of those sequins like crazy.

Whitney & AS Nick pulled jazz? Maybe? It was choreographed for Whitney to be "very sexy," but I thought she was stiff and often had her shoulder up around her ears. We all ready know that I have a low opinion of her which my criticism of her is harsh, so take my comments on Whitney with a grain of salt.

Cole & AS Anya did some sort of ballroom shenanigans. It was okay, except for that ending with Anya twisting on the floor. Also Anya's costume was absolutely terrible. It was ill fitting and looked like it was an old girdle from the 50s and was dyed blue.

Lindsey & AS Jacob did a fun number to the song "Me and My Shadow." After last weeks Addiction number, Lindsey turned a corner for me and I'm liking her much more. I don't think she'll improve enough to win, but somehow blonds seem to have a longevity in competitions, even when they're not the most competent.

Nick & AS Kathryn pulled Bollywood, which was perfect for Nick. He's got to much energy and charisma that he just bounced everywhere that he was supposed to and looked like he was having a riot to boot;

Cyrus & AS Jamie danced a Travis Wall contemporary number, and it was one of my favorites. The way it began with the light behind them, and the way it ended with Jamie clinging to Cyrus as he walked forward was beautiful. Of course it was easy to tell the Cyrus didn't have the enough extension or the right quality of movement, but, as I've said all along, his efforts and total commitment without fear make him interesting and fun to watch.

Chehon & AS Lauren danced hip-hop. Oh man, Chehon tried so hard to get loose and down, but his ballet training just couldn't leave his body. His core was always so straight and...lifted. Or high, or something. He got a couple of good grooves in there, but one week of practice isn't going to cut it for him in this area.

George & AS Allison danced something. I don't even really remember even though I took notes. What I do remember is that Allison looked much physically stronger and in control than George did. I still think he's a beautiful dancer, but he just doesn't have enough oomph to get the votes, which is why he went home this week.

Eliana & AS Alex danced my favorite number of the night. From the music to the lighting to the choreography to the performance, it was beautiful to behold. The dancers gave so much attention to the minutia of their movement. We watched it twice. I still believe that Eliana will be the winner on the girls side. She's so fantastic.

Audrey & AS Twitch (!) aslo danced hip-hop, and I thought this number was really fun and entertaining. Twitch is really good at what he does, and I thought Audrey did really well. Just when I was really starting to love her she gets booted.

4 comments:

  1. I just want to say right off the bat that you are a very funny woman Martha. I bet you could make any workplace a “hot tamale train.” As for the show, this episode was the most brilliant so far, in my opinion, especially the choreography. Nick had the best choreography, but he isn’t my favorite dancer. His personality is infectious though, which is his best asset. Lately, I’ve also come to realize that my schedule is just too unpredictable to watch live TV, so I’m really appreciating how my PrimeTime Anytime recordings help me watch the shows I follow. I used to let the shows pile up, but now I get so excited that I can watch without commercials because of Auto Hop that sometimes I get my shows in before I go to work (and more watched each week) while I’m getting ready for going to my job at Dish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did I just get a first class ticket on the hot tamale train?! Woo woo!

      Delete
  2. Just barely finished watching this episode. It was indeed a good installment! I was SO incredibly excited to see Alex as one of the all stars, especially as he was dancing with Eliana! I knew even before they performed that it would be spectacular! And that ending with Twitch sitting on the coffin just wrapped everything up beautifully!

    I'm glad they sent George home. I know he was good, but he just somehow bugged me every time I saw him. It might have been the facial hair. But I wish it had been Whitney instead of Audrey. Oh well! Last week when Amelia got kicked off, Tillie started crying. There was no crying this week, so that's good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved that moment with Twitch, he's such a joy to watch. And that's hysterical about Tillie. It sounds like she's her mother's daughter.

      Delete