13 August 2012

Project Runway: Women On the Go

Update: 1) I'm back from Portland, and it was awesome. More on that later. 2) I can get into my blog now, but I still can't reply to comments. I feel like a heel about it, but I don't know what to do. 3) Onto my belated Project Runway thoughts, and I know my thoughts about anything and everything are your favorite thoughts ever.

I don't like to dedicate too much space to the drama, but everything got jostled around a bit so I probably should. Both Andrea and Kooan left the competition voluntarily. It makes me mad that they just didn't stick it out and see what they could learn and do, but as Nathan said, they had to do what's best for them. Because two contestants left voluntarily, Raul got to return and continue in the competition. 

This week the contestants got to design for their preferred customer within the paramaters of creating an extremely versatile outfit for a busy woman. This means that the outfit must easily go from day to night, or from work to a night out.

My three favorites were also the judges favorites: Christopher, Sonjia, and Dmitry. I was a little bummed that the three garments were all very similar, but at the same time I understand why. They all chose jersey, which is comfortable and doesn't generally hold wrinkles; the palettes were all dark neutrals, which makes the garments more versatile and easy to add colorful accessories; and they all had either draping or tucking, which helps hide any bulgier body parts a woman may want to disguise. 

Sonjia won the challenge, but I personally liked Christopher's better with Sonjia in a very close second. Sonjia's dress was a wee bit off in proportions (I wish the skirt was a kiss longer), and there's something not quite right with the shape or the volume in the drape at the side. 

On the other hand, I loved Christopher's proportions even though his side drape was far too long. He even did my favorite thing of mixing hard and soft elements in his outfit.

I loved the padded shoulder detail on Dmitry's dress, but I think, as did the judges, that he didn't push his overall design far enough to make a lasting impression. His construction, however, was exquisite. It's hard to make jersey look as sharp as he made it look in the front detail, the hem, and finishing the back. He even put a zipper in beautifully. I'm feeling a little jealous of his skills.

The judges bottom three were also mine: Buffi, Fabio, and the man with the second chance, Raul. I knew Fabio wasn't going home. His outfit wasn't great, and his dress was far too short for all-day comfort, but it wasn't abysmal like Raul's and Buffi's. 

I probably would have booted Raul again. I mean, if that's what he created to redeem himself, he doesn't deserve to continue. Harsh but true. The pants alone were the truly embarrassing and tragic in fit and construction. It's one big messy blah.

And then there's Buffi. I mean, this outfit is truly awful in palette, construction, and silhouette, but I'm going to miss that little kook. I really think her aesthetic can be really fun, but she could never quite make anything come together in the given timeframes. I have a feeling that she's a designer that needs ample time to flesh out her ideas before they begin to click, so of course she wouldn't shine in this time-sensitive competition.

I don't feel the need to mention any of the other designs. They were all solid pieces, but none of them incited any strong like or dislike within my bosom. Oh wait, except for Elena. Her jacket looked like what people in the 80s thought the future would look, and it wasn't pretty. Would any of your or anyone you know wear it? I may have put her in the bottom three instead of Fabio. 

1 comment:

  1. Agree, agree, agree. I was super disappointed at how generally boring everything seemed this week. But like you said, they were all following the same guidelines. And they were all also being influenced by Michael Kors who, I think, designs pretty basic and often boring clothes.

    ReplyDelete