19 July 2012

Underground New York Public Library

First, I try to respond to all the comments readers make, but in the past week or so Blogger hasn't let me. So I've typed out all of these extremely charming and thoughtful responses only to have them deleted by Blogger. Based on the problems I've had recently, I guess I should look into using a different host. We'll see if that ever happens. You know, because I'm lazy.

Remember the perfectly voyeuristic blog Humans of New York (HONY) I blogged about? Well I just stumbled across another amazing New York voyeurism blog, but this time it's all about what people are reading on the subway. Underground New York Public Library is run by a woman named Ourit Ben-Haim. Armed with her camera she rides the subways and tries to capture people in an honest, unposed reading moment. Sometimes she interacts with the subject, sometimes not, either way she gets some great juxtapositions of people and some magical moments. She then posts the picture along with the title of the book on her website. I spent a good hour or so gawking at it yesterday.

I couldn't find the images that she allows people to repost, so I'll only repost one on the DL and I hope it doesn't come back to haunt me. 
"The God Delusion" by Richard Dawkins

2 comments:

  1. If I read standing up (or in any moving vehicle) I get really carsick. Which stinks, because I found out the same happens if I use my iPad in the car. Bleah...:(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I get carsick when I read in the car, but I've never gotten motion sickness reading in the subway or the tube. But if you can't read in the subway, at least you know the people watching will be fantastic!

      Delete