03 July 2012

Trailer Tuesday: The Awakening & The Big Easy Express

I'm not a huge horror fan, as you may know; however when horror favors suspense over gore then it's a whole new ball game. Then if the writing is clever and is a period piece, chances are I'll be there. And looky what we have here! It's The Awakening which looks like it fits all my horror criteria. It's a little refreshing that the ghost hunter is a woman. I mean, sometimes I just get so tired of the helpless flailers, if you know what I mean. I don't need the women to be the men, I just want them to be...not ridiculous. Also what is it about horror and children? Why are they so creepy?


I'm not sure why, but I wasn't going to post The Big Easy Express. I watched the trailer weeks ago and loved it, but then I had this weird internal debate about posting it, like I need to somehow please the masses or something with my movie trailer posts. Getting over myself now (again). It's likely that I changed my mind because I've been talking with my friend Noah a lot about folk music. The Big Easy Express is a music documentary that follow Mumford and Sons, Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros, and The Old Crow Medicine Show as they tour and travel on an old Zephyr train. (At least I think it's a Zephyr, feel free to correct me.) I like traditional folk quite a bit, but I'm excited about new indie folk bands who pay homage to the purpose and sound of folk traditions, but they are not simply "covering" folk songs. They're adding new sounds and writing new songs that feel folky, community driven, and story heavy, yet modern and relatable. Enough of that, just watch it.


And guess what? The Big Easy Express was released exclusively on iTunes and you can purchase or rent it here!

3 comments:

  1. I've seen 'The Awakening' - it came out here ages ago (November, I think!). It was really good. I like ghosty movies (not horror, either) and this was a good one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good! I simply hated The Woman in Black, and I didn't want this to follow in its footsteps.

      Delete
    2. I didn't like Woman in Black either. This is much better.

      Delete