11 July 2012

Trailer Tuesday on Wednesday

I'm in! I'll try to type so fast in case I get kicked out again.

Not being able to post on Tuesday was apropos, because I didn't have any trailers that I wanted to post. Nothing's really grabbing me. So I decided to post about two of my favorite movie soundtracks. One from a movie I love, and one from a movie I wish I could love. And, coincidentally, both soundtracks are by French composers and performers.

Les Choristes (The Chorus in the U.S.) is a movie that I love. It's a story of a new teacher at a school for orphaned and troubled boys. The boys are unruly, the rules are strict, and the punishments are harsh, but with little effect. So the teacher, in an attempt to refocus energies, starts a chorus. It's such a sweet, tender, and heartbreaking movie. The soundtrack is by French composer Bruno Coulais, and it mostly consistes of songs sung by the boys chorus, but the whole soundtrack is beautiful. "Les Avions en Papier" ("Paper Airplanes") is my favorite song, but you really have to see the movie to appreciate why; it's from my favorite scene in the movie. Here is the trailer, which is also a nice preview of the music. "Les Avions en Papier" is played in part during the last moments of the trailer.


Now for the movie I wish I loved: Pride & Prejudice (2005) with Keira Knightly and Matthew MacFadyen. The soundtrack is great, the visuals are stunning, but the casting was kind of terrible. I didn't like Keira Knightly, Donald Sutherland, Jena Malone, or even Matthew MacFadyen in their roles. I should just frame stills stills from the movie and longingly gaze at them while I listen to the soundtrack. It's composed by Jean-Yves Thibaudet, French composer and piano performer. My favorite bits in the soundtrack are the piano solos. The whole soundtrack is uncomplicated or even simple, yet effective. Here is the first track and one of the piano solos, "Dawn." 

No comments:

Post a Comment