23 March 2012

Project Runway All Stars: "Whose Dream Do We Buy?"

First, I loved Austin's sparkly jacket and pink socks, I loved Mondo's silver shoes, and I hated Georgina's dress. It was Big Bird-y and unflattering. Also, Angela's halting dialogue felt forced and torturous.

Now to taking care of business. Everyday. Every way.

Austin's Collection
I admit that I eliminated Austin for the win as soon as he again described his bizarre mix of inspirations...something about vampires and Hasidic dandies. In fact, I laughed out loud. On top of that his collection wasn't entirely cohesive and he had a few other problems. But like the judges said, he really did have a couple of amazing pieces, which really were his best work of the season.

I loved the simple sequin jacket, but pannier-inspired pants is one of the silhouettes that I've always hated in fashion. They seem to crop up every time a designer is inspired by Madame de Pompadour. And speaking of weird volume, his evening dress had too much in too many places, thus losing the person wearing the dress. He should have gone with volume in one place or the other. But even if he didn't have the long peplum, the fullness in the mermaid part is a little too over-the top and maybe even clownish.

I didn't much care for Austin's leatherette pieces. The peek-a-boo netting in the back of the skirt looked inelegant while the model walked. Also, did you notice that the flanges on the sleeves were unfinished and unraveling? But I actually think he would sell that jumpsuit, although no one I know would wear it.

The lacquered lace dress was the perfect combination of hard and soft. The flounce detail in the front gave some volume to the dress without adding volume to the model's figure. I really liked this one.

I absolutely loved the wedding dress. The proportions of the layers were perfect, and adding that bit of shine at the belt was genius. I could've done without the black gloves, but it was Austin's wedding, and he would look great in those gloves.

Michael's Collection
When Michael's collection first walked the runway, I thought he had a real chance at the win. But in retrospect I think he simply had the safest collection, which is reflected in the fact that I only took one note for him. There was nothing I hated, but nothing I truly loved either.

This was dress had my only note. I really liked the seaming and piecing on the bust, but it got lost in the print and you can't even see it in this picture.

Other than that I don't have anything to say about the rest of Michael's collection except that it I've seen it before, it was well-made, and he can sell it to his resort-based customer with no problem.




Mondo's Collection
I can't say I loved every piece in Mondo's collection, but his collection was definitely the best overall, and I am certainly over the moon about his win! He really deserved it. He was the most consistant throughout the season, and I think his collection was the most sellable to the widest market.

I have confused feelings about Mondo's finale dress. I like it, but I feel like I shouldn't for some reason. I think it reminds me of the 90s somehow, and since I believe nothing good came out of fashion in the 90s (hyperbole intended), I cannot fully embrace the dress. But at the same time, I don't have a problem with it. What were your impressions?

The first two outfits might be his most sellable. I liked them both, but I could have done without the pockets on the dress.

The Rorschach print on the dress was so great, but I really, really, really wanted the model in a bra. (I'm with you Joanna!)

The top made with the fabric from other challenges was great--flattering and totally sellable. But the hem needs a different finishing technique to help it hang better.

I simply adored the wide-leg pants even though the flaps were just a wee bit too large. Side note: this outfit was worn by the model he used all season, and she always looks so stiff-armed and awkward. It's very strange.

Congratulations Mondo!

Well, we've come to the end of Project Runway: All Stars, and it looks like the next regular Project Runway series won't air for a few months. I've got a few ideas for fashion-related posts, but what I'd really like to write about are things you want to hear about. It can be anything about fashion, styling, sewing, what have you. I would be happy to research things within these topics that you want to know more about, or just share with you what I already know. So please, hit me with your wants, needs, hopes, and dreams.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete