05 March 2012

Nathan Fillion: Always Sexy, Never Handsome


Nathan Fillion possesses a magical kind of magnetism made up of his charm, humor, and talent. While these qualities make him often adorable and always sexy, they never make him handsome. In fact, I think he slightly resembles a hammerhead shark. (Yeah, yeah, I'm a jerk.) Yet I simply cannot get enough of him. In fact there was a whole week in January where I dreamt of Nathan Fillion every night. (No, not those kind of dreams.)

I remember seeing Nathan Fillion in the movie Blast from the Past and television show Two Guys, a Girl and a Pizza Place, but I really started my fandom once Fillion started working with writer/director extraordinaire, Joss Whedon. The first collaboration that I beheld was on the television series Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Fillion's role as a villain covered only a few episodes, but it made an impression on me.
As Caleb in Buffy the Vampire Slayer, with Sarah Michelle Gellar.
And I suppose Fillion and Whedon decided they worked well together, because the next thing I knew Whedon cast Fillion as space cowboy Captain Malcolm "Mal" Reynolds in the short-lived, now cult-classic series Firefly and the companion movie Serenity. And he was fantastic in the equally fantastic series and movie. The role of Mal showed the range that Fillion possessed; he was dramatic, tough, hilarious, and charming. Oh boy, I love me some Malcolm Reynolds. 
As Captain Malcolm Reynolds in Firefly and Serenity.
The next Whedon/Fillion collaboration was the viral hit short Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog, where Fillion plays narcissistic superhero Captain Hammer. He even sings...not terribly well, but at least on key and with great panache. (See this site for their next collaboration.)
As Captain Hammer in Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog.
One of the best things about Fillion is that after he has starred in sci-fi/fantasy geek-heavy entertainments, he has embraced the zealous geek fans and fully participates in things like Comic-Con and The Nerdist. It's most likely because he's a geek at heart, as proved by the magazine cover below and the projects he chooses to participate in.

In 2007 Fillion proved that he could carry a romantic lead in the independent film Waitress. He is painfully charming in this film. He plays sensitive, slightly awkward, tender, and sweet just as well (if not better) than he plays rough, villainous, and narcissistic. 
As Dr. Pomatter in Waitress with Keri Russel.
And for the past few years I have the happiness of seeing Nathan Fillion weekly on Castle. While this show isn't...the best, Fillion is. In fact, if it wasn't for Fillion, I don't think Castle would have ever left the ground; his magnetism and charm practically carry the entire show. So three cheers for Nathan Fillion and his sexy, unhandsome self.
Best picture ever of Nathan Fillion.

4 comments:

  1. LOVE Nathan Fillion! Too bad all geeks don't look like him....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am having a spiritual experience reading this. Nathan!!! We love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite thing about him is that he was an avid comic collector as a youth.

    I died a little when Ryan Reynolds was cast as the Green Lantern.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did it make you feel better when the movie totally flopped? Also Nathan Fillion just voiced the Green Lantern for some animation something or other, so that can be his consolation prize.

    ReplyDelete