16 March 2012

Project Runway All Stars: Finale Eve

Final Challenge: A mini collection of 5, no wait 6, looks.
Time: 4 days.
Budget: $3,000

As soon as Angela described the challenge, Mondo's face set into a panic. Then the whole episode centered around his immediate tailspin into terror and self-loathing. I suppose the producers had to pick a theme since they weren't about to show us any finalized fashions before the finale, and Mondo's personal struggle and process was as good a theme as any.

But I really enjoyed the format of this episode and how it played out...aside from Mondo's tantrum. (He's still my favorite.) I thought it especially nice that the designers got these mini mentoring sessions with Joanna, Georgina, and Isaac. It helped calm and center the designers. My favorite moment was at the end of Georgina's visit when she ever so gently called Mondo out on his mood and attitude. He bitterly explains to her that "he's tired of everyone telling him what to do." She gracefully, patiently, and kindly says, "That's okay." That's okay. With two words she empathically allows him his process no matter how tumultuous and dark it is, and he's able to cut himself some slack and move on. It felt like magic. Although I'm sure editing had something to do with that.

And that's all I really have to talk about for this finale eve episode, because no one seems to be taking a surprising tack with their collection. We'll just have to wait and see who does their aesthetic best.

Quotes!
Austin describing his inspiration: "It's Fraganard, Madame de Pompadour, 21st century rockstar, Williamsburg, Hasidic gentleman." Cut to Anthony laughing hysterically. Just... I don't... Huh? 

Austin does a little dance while looking at a dress: "I'm having a glamour excitement fit!"

Mondo seeking advice for a dress: "Now that I put the sleeves on, I don't know if it takes it into wizard territory."

Mondo on Austin's moustache: "He went from Errol Flynn to Kermit the Frog." It was a little mean, but apt.

Other!
Non-episode related but Project Runway related, I saw these tops by designer Vince Camuto on the Nordstrom website this week.
Don't they remind you of something else you've seen on the runway this season? Boom.


4 comments:

  1. Boom! It's funny about Mondo's meltdown, because normally I would hate that. But for some reason, when he does it, I feel just fine about it. Maybe because I know that's sort of his process. I don't know. Maybe I'm just such a fan that I am blind to his faults.

    As per Austin's collection description, I laughed SO HARD when I first heard it. And the funny thing was, he kept repeating it, so it obviously made sense to him!

    I am most definitely least excited about Michael's collection. Safari? Resort? Really?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's true. I just love Mondo so much that I just kind of laughed at him knowing he would get past it. I just want to keep him in my pocket for always. And have him show me how he does his hair.

    As to Michael, you have to admit that it's his aesthetic, no matter if we like it or not. He is staying true to himself. But it also feels way too similar to Anya's "winning" collection, so I'm inclined to not like it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, I finally got caught up on PR Allstars over the weekend so I can now chime in. I forgive Mondo for his diva-esque performance but it did sort of make me root for Austin a little bit more than I otherwise would have. Before hand Mondo was my clear favorite but now - even though I still want him to win - I would not be heartbroken to see Austin take home the prize either. The editing was particularly great this episode and I was also moved by Georgina's grounding moment. She's the full package. Michael is Michael and I like him but I also felt like his collection could be confused with Anya's. I also love that Joanna gets after the designers for not making their clothes conducive to wearing a bra. And my final thought is that when I saw a commercial for PR season 10 my heart leapt at the sight of Tim Gunn - oh! How I have missed him.

    Martha, you should audition for PR.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've thought about auditioning several times... I have no reason not to, really. Except that I don't really want to be on TV.

    ReplyDelete