30 July 2012

The Project Runway Debacle of 2012

I was so confused when I snuggled into the couch to watch Project Runway last Thursday. It was episode 2 and I had no idea what happened to episode 1. I slowly realized that episode 1 must have been recorded with the intro episode and I just stopped watching after the first part and deleted the whole kit and caboodle. It's kind of like how I always stopped The Sound of Music after the wedding when I was a kid, because all movies ended with a wedding, right? I think I watched it 5 or 6 times before I realized there was more movie.

For those of you who watched Project Runway like a normal person, my first post was probably confusing as well. I didn't talk about any winners or any garments. Och, me. In the end I decided to watch both episodes before weighing in.

Episode 1: "Anniversary Party in Times Square"
Since the damage is done, I won't go too much into episode one. I think the winner (Christopher) and the "outer" (Beatrice) were decisions that gave me nothing to balk about. The movement and texture of Christopher's gown was breathtaking. Ven also did incredible work and will be a top contender if not a final three-er. The rose top with his suit was sublime. Lastly I was completely surprised that I did not loathe and may have liked tomboy Alicia's designs despite a definite 90s reference. I am curious to see my reactions to her designs in the future. I'm also keeping my eye on Nathan after this challenge.
Christopher's winning gown.
Ven's beautiful rose top, despite the dour model.
Episode 2: "Candy Couture"
The top three for me were Dmitry, Sonjia, and Ven. I understand why Dmitry's wasn't in the top for the judges, after all he did have loads of fabric showing and it is the candy challenge. However, his design was clean and classy, yet fun with all that movement.

Like the judges I had a hard time deciding between Sonjia and Ven for my favorite. Sonjia had great color and texture, and the gummy sharks were a huge risk that really paid off. But Ven, oh Ven, created a little candy stained glass masterpiece. It didn't look like candy, it was sharp and clean, and the model even looked comfortable.
Ven
Sonjia

Dmitry
The judges also put Gunnar in the top three, but for me he was in the low middle or bottom three. Sure, the checkerboard was a lot of work, but it didn't come together for me. I also thought that peplum was not well draped, especially in the back. But I must admit that my judgement of Gunnar might be harsh because I simply don't like him. He's an obnoxious diva. I thought it was hysterical (and accurate) that Christopher said he was the good twin and Gunnar was the evil twin.

The bottom three for me were Andrea, Elena, and Lantie. The judges put Buffi in the bottom instead of Andrea, and again, I see why. Buffi's certainly wasn't great, but she took more risks, which I appreciated. Additionally Andrea used just as much if not more fabric instead of candy to flesh out her prairie-looking candy dot dress. I want Buffi to stay on as long as possible because she's funny and is great at relieving tension between other contestants, I think.
 

Elena's dress was a blah tragedy that looked like corrugated cardboard. (FYI, I spelled corrugated right in one try!) Also, I've been burned with hot glue gun glue, and while it hurts right good, she was definitely being more of a diva about it than reacting honestly to the pain. Just sayin'.

A happy goodbye to Lantie. She was terrible in the first challenge and terrible in this one. Her dress was maybe 10% candy in the candy challenge. And on top of that she was sulky and rude to the judges. Get real.

I'm giving Kooan an honorable mention. I can't stand his dramatic sighs and personality, but this dress was rather spectacular in candy pattern. It's southwestern meets Japanese street fashion. Certainly kooky and club kid, but impressive nonetheless.

1 comment: