19 July 2012

An Apology and Project Runway

I'm sorry. I never meant to blog about two reality shows at the same time, but there's no way I'm not going to do it unless one of them really starts to bore me. Fat chance.

Last night Project Runway Season 10 started, and I think we may have a winner of a season on our hands. There's already people I love and people I loathe. Last night's episode was all about introducing us to the 16 competing designers. I absolutely love the new format they used. It let us get to know the designers a bit without any drama, we got to see and understand more of each designer's aesthetic, and the Nick and Mondo dynamic was pretty fun. You know I love me some Mondo, and he was especially well-dressed in this episode.

Likes!
This is Christopher Palu. I liked him because he seemed competent and calm. Nothing high-pitched or hyper. He also pulled out these hightop Chucks with stilettos painted on the sides that I kind of loved. It surprised me that I loved them.

This is Dmitry Sholokhov from Belarus. He made what he's wearing, and I especially love that jacket. I'm afraid he might bug me later, but I really like his confidence. He had this little sparkle in his eye when he talks about his designs that is telling of his passion.

This is Elena Slivnyak. She has a lot of dark and twisty ideas that look like the movie Dune, but her construction skills are beyond beyond. 

This is Ven Budhu. He's got mad construction skills. He showed these amazing wide-leg pants that had knife pleats down the front. All his pieces looked gorgeous, but that might turn into monotony if he can't break away from the red he loves so much.

Erm...!
This is Fabio Costa. At first I liked his face and his ideas, but then he said that he only eats out of dumpsters by choice. I guess there's nothing wrong with that, but there is seriously something wrong with that.

This is Buffi Jashanmal. Her aesthetic is 80s club kid meets 90s club kid with a little crack cocaine mixed in. She could end up being crazy fun and fabulous, or obnoxious and gimmicky. 

Dislikes!
This is Andrea Katz. I thought her designes looked like what people in the 80s designed as "futuristic"; it didn't look modern or fresh. Plus she described herself as an "extreme feminist," which I have zero problem with generally, but it usually means misplaced rants and in-you-face arguments. Och, and her shoes in this pic are terrible. 

This is Gunnar Deatherage. Don't let his kick-ass name fool you, because he is shrill and obnoxious. He got booted from Season 9 during the first episode, so I only hope that he is gone as quickly this season. But that is never my luck. And the truth is I didn't hate his designs. Shoot-darn.

That's half the designers, and I just don't think you or I have the stamina to highlight the rest. I'm sure my opinions and ideas will shift and change as the standouts and duds make themselves known through the course of the season. Any thoughts?

P.S. I cannot wait to see my darling Tim Gunn!

1 comment:

  1. As usual, I am pretty much in agreement with you. I promise I am not copying you, we are just in-sync! I hate Gunnar and want him to die. I am secretly rooting for the japanese guy, though I don't think he has much chance of making it very far. (Plus, have those judges never seen Japanese street style? They were acting all surprised about his designs when they are exactly what is popular in Japan!)
    The only other designer I want to mention is Sonjia. I didn't really like what she had produced on the runway, but I loved the stuff she initially showed to Mondo. So, I'm still rooting for her.

    PS - I am glad that someone else is watching my 2 favorite reality shows with me!!!

    ReplyDelete