12 July 2012

Technology or Bust

I'm 99% sure this is the model of the first computer my family had.
 I used Paint all the livelong day and played loads of Lode Runner and Transylvania.
I've been experiencing a strange phenomenon lately. It seems that every time I talk to youths (Youths!) that are seniors in high school or just entering the throes of college that they have a very limited knowledge of computers and basic computer programs. A girl in college asked me the other day not only what a jpeg is, but how to change font size in Word. It's to the point where I don't know how they even have the capability to log into Facebook. (What? I don't exaggerate. Never ever. In the history of ever.)

It seems to me that in this day and age high schools, colleges, and the kids themselves would be clamoring to teach and learn computer skills and how to use said skills to their advantage. There is nary a job that calls for a college degree that doesn't require heavy computer use.

I will be the first to admit that I am not all that tech savvy. I think of myself as a novice, to say the least, but now I'm beginning to wonder if I'm actually somewhere in the middle. (Although I don't think I'll ever understand Excel. InDesign is much easier as far as I'm concerned.) Somehow my internal dialogue has convinced my brain that all youths are so computer savvy that they will have that extra edge to surely push me out of the job market (that I can't quite seem to even get into at the moment) sooner rather than later. Hopefully this means that the upcoming generations that will vie for the same jobs as me are all idiots. One can only dream.

1 comment:

  1. I grew up with a similar computer when I was a kid. I'm not sure why we even had it because I am pretty sure I'm the only one who used it, and just to print out pixelated images to color. (And I'd have to tear off those border strips with holes in them. Know what I'm talking about?) Anyway, it seems like we've grown up right alongside the computer. We have evolved as it has evolved. And now there is so much to learn and there is so much that everyone expects you to know that I don't think it's as easy for them as it was for us to "learn computers."

    ReplyDelete