18 July 2012

Cool Kids and Brandi Carlile

I'm not, nor have I ever been, nor will I ever be a "cool kid." This includes what makes up a classic "cool kid" in high school and the "alternative" cool kid that is too cool to be a cool kid, which makes them so cool. Basically I'm no Molly Ringwald and I'm no James Dean.

One of the telltale signs of my uncoolness is that I'm not a concert goer. Now, I love music, and there is a magic to live music that will never be captured on an album, but whether it's a stadium concert or an intimate venue, I'm just not interested. The tight crowds, the heat and sweat, and the potential of unpredictable mob behavior make me more than uncomfortable. But once in a while an artist comes to town and to a certain venue that makes me decide that I don't want to stay home. Well, that and when someone gives you a free ticket. (Thanks, Becky!)

Last Sunday I went to see Brandi Carlile at the Red Butte Gardens in Salt Lake City. It was incredible. I'd never been to this venue before. It's outdoors amongst trees and nature, everyone sits on low chairs or blankets on a sloping lawn, you can bring in coolers and food, and it's such a relaxed environment in general. And on top of that there's not a bad seat in the house.

I've listened to and enjoyed Brandi Carlile since her album The Story came out in 2007. She has this lower, raspy voice that's rock and blues and bluegrass and just herself, really. I've never heard anyone quite like her. If I had to compare her to anyone, it would be Johnny Cash and Bonnie Raitt. I know, that's a serious comparison, but if you see her live you'll know what I mean. Her energy and skill are that fantastic. She writes her own music, often collaborating with her guitarist and bassist (they're identical twins! that wear lame hats!), and she's proficient on the guitar and piano as well.

This is "The Story" from The Story and the song that made me first like Ms. Carlile.

This is a song from her newest album, Bear Creek, called "Hard Way Home."

The rock side of her doesn't exactly come across in the albums, but live, boy howdy! During the show she did two covers by two bands that any musician might think twice about covering, because they could never be as good. But I have to say, she met the challenge exceedingly well, and I do not say that lightly. She did Oh Darling by The Beatles and Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen, and the latter brought down the house. We were rollicking and hootin' and hollerin'. So great.

Check her out, maybe you'll hear something you like.

A phone pic from the show.

3 comments:

  1. That's so exciting! I *love* "The Story". Such a moving song! I'll have to make more time for her other music.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recommend! I had not heard of her, and you're right! She is awesome!

    Also, I thought you were cool in high school - guess it's one of those eye of the beholder situations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, shucks, Jen. Thanks. I was just trying to get by!

      Delete