04 September 2012

Trailer Tuesday: The Untouchable Girls & The Sapphires

Inexplicably today is all about sassy sisters in New Zealand and Australia.

On Sunday I was cruising around the internet, as is my wont, when I stumbled upon a video that Flight of the Conchords did for Red Nose Day in New Zealand. In the video there were a couple of grizzly bearded guys that I was curious about, so I tried to find out who they were. I never did finish my search, because I stumbled upon The Topp Twins. From what I understand they're an immensely popular comedy duo in New Zealand, and last year a documentary called The Untouchable Girls was released about them. I will let the trailer flesh out their story, but just know that I was completely charmed by The Topp Twins. You can also see some of their regular comedy sketches and characters here.

Now to Australia for a film based on a true story. The Sapphires is about four aboriginal sisters in 1968 who are trying to make it in the music business singing country western when a talent scout (the lovely Chris O'Dowd) discovers them, molds them into "Australia's answer to The Supremes," and secures them a gig in Vietnam singing for the US troops. Bonus: It was an Official Selection at the Cannes Film Festival (one of twenty in competition for the Palme d'Or award), so it should be more than decent.

No comments:

Post a Comment