12 September 2012

SYTYCD for 11 September 2012: Finale Performance

Well, well, well, here we is at the SYTYCD performance finale, and what a finale it was! It's tricky to break it down because all the contestants danced five times, or in other words, everyone danced with everyone plus more. I'll try to make it quick, yet chalk-full.

Quartet
I'll start with the worst first. Remember that quartet that was smack in the middle of the show that Tyce choreographed? I've been trying to forget it. It was messy and confusing, and once again the music was terribly off-putting and distracting.

Solos
Everyone had fantastic solos this time out. Eliana was graceful and elegant as always; Tiffany had a myriad of amazing turns; Chehon had so much effortless control, especially in his turns; and we all are fully aware of the insanity that is Cyrus in is own style.

All Star Partners
Tiffany & AS Will had a Sonja number, but Sonja was off for me again with this dance. Or maybe this time it was the fact that AS Will didn't do a great job. How did he struggle so much with that last lift?

Chehon & AS Allison danced an incredible Stacy Tookey number. It was like someone turned a switch on in Chehon two weeks ago, and the performance aspect of his dances went through the roof! He's an unstoppable train now.

Eliana & AS Alex pulled the glorious Travis Wall. I really can't get enough of how dance both oozes and explodes from Eliana. The power and control over just her feet in this dance were a sight to behold, not to mention the rest of her performance. She totally out danced Alex, which is as it should be in the finale.

Cyrus & AS Twitch. Need I say more? Yes, yes, I do. First, the fact that these two beautiful men dancing together was a little fever-inducing. Then they broke those "glass" panes and dance the bejeezus out of that number. In my notes: "Muscles McGees. Yipes!"

Partnered Contestants
Cyrus & Eliana pasodoble. Yawn. He didn't even really dance. She just danced amazingly around him.

Chehon & Eliana ballet! I was hoping and hoping and hoping for this, and I was not disappointed. Despite the fact that her tutu was...not great, they both looked ridiculously beautiful in this dance.

Cyrus & Tiffany hip hop. I frankly don't remember it, and my notes are subpar this time around. However, it was here that I realized that Cyrus is Twitch Jr. as far as my love of their faces go. I just want them both to smile at me all day long.

Tiffany & Eliana pole dance? Are you kidding me?! I was so scared that this was going to a place that I didn't want to be, but frankly it was entirely entertaining and impressive. I thought Eliana out-danced Tiffany, but not by much. It was probably that mind-boggling ending with Eliana turning around that pole with one leg forward, one leg back, and a wicked smile on her face.

Cyrus & Chehon danced a (finally) great Sonja piece. Well, overall it was great, but every time my eyes left Chehon, I was thoroughly disappointed in Cyrus's quality of movement. It's almost comical to see Cyrus dance next to the technically magnificent Chehon, so I just watched Chehon.

I'm sorry to end on ballroom, but Chehon & Tiffany danced a rumba. It was fine. That's it. Also Tiffany is a hedgehog; every time the judges say something good to her, she tucks her head down and her body arches like she's about to roll into a ball and hide. I realized that this behavior actually makes her forgettable, because instead of it being a humle and endearing action, it makes her seem unconfident and kind of...weak.

I'm wishing and wishing that Chehon and Eliana win, it is obvious that they are the superior dancers. But let's not forget what Simon said tonight: neither Tiffany nor Cyrus were ever in the bottom three, so their fan base may overtake the talent and skills of Chehon and Eliana.



1 comment:

  1. While I agreed with what Nigel told Cyrus about how he was voting, wasn't that kind of a weird time and place to say it? It came off a little like kicking a puppy. Still, I agree with everything except the Eliana/Alex number didn't capture me the way I hoped it would. Also, I found myself thinking about the Russian choreographer the whole night. I'd be like, "Guys! The RUSSIAN was here. Step it up!" and the Russian ruined the night a little bit for me because of it.

    ReplyDelete