25 February 2012

Write More Good by The Bureau Chiefs


Write More Good: An Absolutely Phony GuideWrite More Good: An Absolutely Phony Guide by The Bureau Chiefs
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

I went into my first tweet book, Write More Good by The Bureau Chiefs (aka @FakeAPStylebook), with the expectation of giggles and light entertainment brought on by clever observations about the sometimes ridiculousness of English structure, grammar, and mechanics. After all I follow @FakeAPStylebook on Twitter and I find their tweets generally delightful. But what I got was tired rants disguised in already worn-thin novelty that led to a boring book that I couldn't finish reading. I concluded that the problem, which I imagine to be the same with all tweet books, is that while flashes of brilliance can come easily 140 characters at a time, a whole book of that same "brilliance" becomes repetitive and dull.

The Commonly Confused Words section in the chapter "Punctuation and Grammar: LOL" was my favorite section in the book, but it wasn't more than three pages long. There were some hilarious example sentences and some great new confused words thrown in for good measure. (i.e. jam, jamb, jambone and night, knight, Knight Rider)

Just like in any Twitter feed, there are moments of hilarity in Write More Good. But is it worth reading every tweet in your feed to make sure you find every entertaining nugget? Probably not.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment