17 February 2012

Wait Wait... Don't Tell Me!: The NPR News Quiz

Here are two facts about me: One, I love much of NPR's programming, from This American Life to Car Talk to A Way With Words to Wait Wait... Don't Tell Me. Two, I have an NPR radio crush on Carl Kasell. Yes, I have a crush on a 78 year old, recently retired radio news broadcaster. I mean, look at him.

Last night two of my loves came together when I got to see Mr. Kasell on stage at a live taping for Wait Wait... Don't Tell Me in Salt Lake City. (It's a panel news quiz show that is hysterical, and Mr. Kasell is their regular scorekeeper and moderater). It was fun and funny and exciting! Dreams do come true, Internet.

Our seats were on the third balcony, about 4 rows up from the back of the theater. My point and shoot camera almost got some really good pictures. Here is the cast, from left to right: Carl Kasell, Peter Sagal (host), Mo Rocca (not pictured, he had to catch a flight right after taping), Kyrie O'Connor, and Peter Grosz. All the people in the back are the producers and tech people.

And here is my Mr. Kasell during the Q&A after the show, in grainy glory. When he first came onto the stage he did this little high-knee run and kind of boogied across the stage. Delightful!

Next time I will spring for better seats. I want to see the sweat on their upper lips. If you have never listened to Wait Wait... Don't Tell Me, you are in for a real treat. The weekly podcast is available free on iTunes.

No comments:

Post a Comment