15 October 2011

Project Runway, Episode 9: The Last Challenge

This season of Project Runway really has been a bummer. Where are the Jeffreys and Seth Aarons and Mondos and Christians who are a little outrageous and take risks and actually pay off? I do really like Viktor compared to the other contestants' design and stylings, but when I compare him to designers in previous seasons I feel a little disappointed. And maybe that's why so much focus has been on the drama of the contestants' relationships this season. Maybe they producers realized that they failed in the casting and had to try and make up for it somehow.

But here we are. The finalists have been chosen (Viktor, Anya, Josh, and Kimberly) and I can't help but watch the finale. I will also watch next season. There's just no other place where I can get this kind of fashion fix. Additionally I will watch as long as Tim Gunn is on.

My favorite of the evening was definitely Viktor. His designs, even if he doesn't alway push them far enough, are always tasteful, polished, and well fit. And let's be honest, if, say, Anya or Oliver were sewing the same designes, the clothes would look like they came from Dress Barn or Wal-Mart. But it in the hands of someone who knows their craft, the clothes look polished and expensive.

Kimberly's designs were okay. But I did like, at least in concept, her orange coat. The buttons and loops look classy and the pleats in the back are delightful. But the silver dress was awfully remeniscent of the outfit Kimberly made for Nina earlier in the season.

Part of the challenge was to show a range of clothing, but Anya showed little range in my eyes. Her cocktail dress and gown looked too similar, and her rust pantsuit thingy-ma-bob was so dated and old lady. How do the esteemed judges not see it? Or am I terribly off-base?

The stinker of the night was Josh. His ill fitting vest paired with a circle skirt (shocker!) were especially disastrous. And a metallic toga? What the what? It looks like a 50s version of the future without the charm of the kitch. 

At least this season will soon stop torturing me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment