01 October 2011

Project Runway, Episode 10: My Sweet, Southern Cherub


Yeah, so. I didn't post about Episode 9. I'm still a fledgling blogger, which is the flimsiest excuse, but I'm gonna go ahead and stick with it. The most exciting part of 9 is that Oliver left. He just wanted to design in a bubble with no client in mind, and he was getting plain mean and crabby. So on to episode 10!
First look on top, second look on bottom. From left to right: Anthony Ryan, Anya, Bert, Josh, Kimberly, Lauren, Viktor. 

This week the designers looked back to the "sophisticated" version of the 70s for inspiration to make not one, but two fashion-forward outfits; $100 for the first outfit, $50 for the second. Anya lost her $100 in the first trip to Mood and had to beg for change and scraps from the other designers to compete. I had a great deal of schadenfreude in this (I never said I was a good person) and I became hopeful that she would tank and lose. Nope, she won. With too short pants, a blah top, and a meh jumpsuit that wasn't finished properly. She just straight up cut off the excess of the bottom of the bodice of the jumpsuit (which was showing on the outside as part of the design) right before they left for the runway so it wouldn't look frayed. I just do not understand what the judges are doing/seeing this season.

What makes Anya's win even more bitter is the fact that Viktor's designs were sharp and spot-on. He referenced the 70s without being literal, which was what the challenge was all about. He's the only person who actually produced runway quality garments. The only bad thing the judges had to say about Viktor is that they wish the shirt under the jacket was a little different, even though they LOVED the shirt on its own. I know that what we see as an audience is highly edited so we don't get the full picture, but come on, people. I will comfort myself with the hope that Viktor will actually win the whole competition. If he doesn't make it to fashion week, then I will seriously yell at the TV. Hard.

On to injustice number two. My beloved, sweet, Southern cherub (or Anthony Ryan) got the boot this week. Tim cried. And he never cries. That is how sweet my Anthony Ryan is. I'll admit that his designs were kinda boring this week  (I liked the fabric in his maxi dress), but they were nothing to Josh's "handy work."

Josh's designs were such hot piles of stank mess that were terrifying to behold. The under-bust plaid pants were so atrocious that I kept covering my eyes like I was watching a horror movie. And I'm not exaggerating my reaction. Then, after Josh gets rightly criticized on the runway, he tries to defend himself to the other designers with a bunch of "I never lived in the 70s, how am I supposed to know what it looked like?" But the other designers put him in his place and told him that it is a designers individual responsibility to know the history of fashion. Word. He was so offended that he had to get up and walk away from the group. Puh-leeze. He claims confidence in his work, but he can't even take responsibility for it.

Fashion week guesses? If Josh makes it, I might boycott the show forever, and I feel like Kimberly's been slowly falling apart for a couple of episodes. It looks like fashion week will welcome Viktor and Anya, but I think the third spot is still up for grabs between Bert and Lauren; the judges seem to like/hate them equally.


Have I mentioned lately how much I love Tim Gunn? The end.

1 comment:

  1. I think between the two, I say Bert, mainly because I remember some of Bert's stuff and I can never remember Lauren's. And stupid Josh. They only keep him for the drama factor, not his design.

    ReplyDelete