16 September 2011

Project Runway, Episode 8: Where Boring Wins

I thoroughly enjoyed the latest episode of Project Runway. This week the gang had to design an outfit for a real woman (as opposed to fake models) as directed by her husband or boyfriend. I actually laughed a few times and I thought the episode was actually really charming--aside from that guy who went on and on about his wife's breasts. It was a little grating. I mean, for Pete's sake he "motor boated" the mannequin to show his enthusiasm for them. Keeping it klassy.

It was no surprise that Bryce went home. He's not great at construction and his dress was just horrifying to look at, from the bad fit to the overall sloppy and unpressed quality. Michael Kors really lit into Bryce about the pockets making the thighs look bigger, but I don't think that this is the case--for this body type anyway. In fact, the pockets are my favorite part. Bryce's final words on the show are rather priceless: "I’m just going to lock myself in my room, listen to as much Lady Gaga as I can, and sketch until I have a genius collection." He wasn't trying to be funny, but I admit that it made me laugh pretty hard. If that makes me a jerk, so be it.

Anya was again in the top three. I do love the main animal fabric, it has a really nice drape. But other than that...I really don't get it. On the runway, you could see the sleeve was pulling and looked ill-fit and extremely uncomfortable. And the four inch organza trimming around the whole hem is bizarre. It looks like a novice sewer put that trim on not caring about puckers or quality. Oh wait, she IS a novice. 

Why, oh why is Oliver still in this competition?! He made it perfectly obvious this episode that he doesn't want to make clothes for a customer, and if he does they better shut-up about it and wear whatever he says. He commented about how he doesn't like to work with women with "boobs" because they ruin the line of the clothes. What? I, um, what? Maybe he should design clothes for pre-teens then. Well, pre-teens who like drab and depressing color palettes. 

And then we come to my precious baby boy Anthony Ryan, who wore the worst hipster glasses I've ever seen, but I digress. The couple that AR worked with was my favorite. The husband looked like a lumberjack, and the wife was about the sweetest thing (in a good way) ever. However, the judges hated AR's dress, and he was in the bottom two! I didn't think it was bottom-two-bad, but there really is nothing special about it.  It was well made at least. Heidi kept saying she looked like a "grandma." I don't know what Heidi's grandma wears, but most the grandmas I know would not wear this. My 92 year old grandma simply doesn't have the legs or arm tone for it.

And finally we come to the injustice. Josh M. wins again with a boring black dress. The judges only fawned all over it because Josh didn't bedazzle it like he does everything else. There really is nothing exciting about it. Michael Kors himself said, after her praised the dress, that he's glad Josh added the turquoise shoes because they added "personality." Doesn't that mean that personality is lacking in the dress? Jeesh. 

How could it win next to Viktor's delightful design? His outfit had tons of personality. And I'm pretty sure not just saying that because this is something I would wear. Love the color combo, love the dropped pleating, love the vintage nod. I also love her hair. I would like to see Viktor in the final three.

1 comment:

  1. I agree 100%. How on earth did that black dress win over Viktor's outfit? Plus, I want her hair. You NEVER know what the judges are going to think. I thought Anya was gonna get in trouble this time. And like you said, I didn;t think Anthony Ryan's dress was THAT bad!

    ReplyDelete