14 August 2013

Untimely Movie Review: World War Z


Introducing a new blog category: Untimely Movie Reviews! Let's be honest, I'm never on the edge of hip and happening. I usually come to the party a little late or not at all, because I don't care all that much any more. Mostly. But hey, I still have opinions, no matter how fashionably late they are.

Again, let me be honest. I'm sick to death of zombies. And I have been for a long while. That's mostly why I didn't want to see World War Z. That and my inexplicable distaste of Brad Pitt. It's weird. I almost never look forward to seeing him in a movie, but I'm also rarely disappointed in his performances. It's probably leftover "I'm not mainstream" feelings from when everyone lovey-love-loved Brad Pitt in the 90s because he was "so handsome," so my teen self felt as though I had to reject him completely. That and I never thought him particularly handsome. There's no accounting for teen brains.

Braaaaaains. (Perfect segue. Dismount!)

World War Z doesn't waste much time in starting with the action. You get about 4 minutes of a happy family morning scene, then immediately people start dying in hoards because of the fastest, freakiest, and weirdly-est contorting zombies ever represented in film. Not to mention the clicking. (You'll just have to see it.)

The intensity is brutal. Let me put it this way, every muscle in my body was so clenched the entire movie that I got the best workout I've ever had. (For context, I workout almost none times a year.)


But what was so great about the intensity aspect was that the director didn't constantly show graphic up-close shots of the violence over and over again. I don't mind violence in a movie, but if it's constantly repeated up-close violence, I get weary and burnt out during the film. Ultimately, if the story and action are good enough in the first place, you don't have to rely on gore to entertain. For instance, there is a scene in Z where Pitt takes out a zombie with a crowbar to the noggin. But I didn't have to see the entrance of said crowbar into the skull to know that it was gruesome. Even further, when Pitt has to tug and tug the crowbar out of the skull to defend himself against yet another zombie, I didn't need to see the crowbar exiting the skull for the incredible tension and suspense to be there. (And the director didn't show us the crowbar in the skull at any point.)

This "new" take on violence wasn't the only refreshing thing about the movie. I was surprised, and therefore delighted, with the lore and "the cure," for lack of a better thing to call it without giving too much away. I did guess where it was going somewhere in the middle of the movie, but it's still a nice departure from the zombie norms.

Also there was also not a character that I hated or that I thought was superfluous. Everyone had a purpose, and all were well written and acted. In fact, there is a female Israeli soldier that pushed the movie over the line from good to great for me.

(Side note: This is the first thing I've seen Peter Capaldi in since it was announced that he's the next Doctor Who. Based on even this very small role, I am now confident in his takeover.)

Lastly, I was struck by a strong undercurrent of themes of a) the safety and importance of family, and b) how family is defined by that feeling of safety and protection. Basically, if World War Z comes true, just remember that we're all in this together.

The non-up-close violence and lack of swears is what kept this movie at PG-13, but I certainly wouldn't recommend that any 13-year-old should see it.

Rating: 4 stars up, but proceed with caution.

P.S. This movie is based on a book, and I'm on the library's waiting list, so I'll let you know how it stacks up when I get my turn.
Click, click, click.

No comments:

Post a Comment