04 March 2013

Project Runway Teams: Senior Fling

The non-traditional model challenge always makes me sad. The producers pick these women who we as viewers have some sort of compassion for--veterans, recent weight loss-ers, the elderly--then we have to watch while most of the designers utterly fail and make their hopeful clients look and feel bad.

I actually think that designing for elders is one of the most difficult customer groups to design for. Correction, fitting and tailoring for elders is really the challenge. Many times their bodies are so different from the median that unless the designer has had a lot of experience with custom fit and tailoring, they simply can't figure it out in a 24 hour period.

The best and the worst ended up all over the place because of the effect of team scores. The most painful designs were Patricia, Tu, Amanda, Benjamin, and, contrary to the judges' opinion, Layana.

Patricia and Tu were in a tie for the worst, and I wish one of them would have gone home, but both were saved by the quality of their respective team members' work. Patricia's model not only looked like a blob, but she looked uncomfortable to boot. To make something that looks so much like a sack yet so uncomfortable takes a special talent. It's not unlike stalling an automatic transmission car that is in perfect running condition. The fabric and color combinations are also unspeakable.

Tu, as Michelle so eloquently said, "can't sew for $%*!." The thing is, his design and fabric choice were completely appropriate. In the hands of almost any other contestant on the show, the design would probably have been in the top. But as it is, it is a tortured mess of a beginner seamer. He couldn't be eliminated because Kate had a more than decent look. But I didn't buy Kate's defense on the runway of "I only had ten minutes to spare so I couldn't help him." If you really work as a team then from the get-go, you make a plan together that is reasonable and has reasonable support built in if needed. I mean, if it were me, I would even trade on sewing and patterning skills. If my teammate could whip out a pants pattern in an hour and I could sew a skirt in an hour, I would offer a trade to save on time and up the quality for each of us.

Amanda and Benjamin were the losing team, and Benjamin went home. I've never been able to get behind Amanda, and this week I figured out why. Simply put, the way Amanda dresses is terrible, so I believe her taste level is not where it should be in her designs. Whereas Benjamin's personal aesthetic is sharp, so at least he has better taste level. And even though I like Benjamin a lot, I've never truly believed that either would make it to fashion week, so it's not that big of a deal, but there you have it.

Amanda's dress was wrong from fabric to silhouette to execution. She didn't think about her client beyond "bohemian," and there was nothing redeemable in it for her client.

Benjamin at least had the right color for his client (even though it was a difficult fabric to work with), and I don't think his design was a complete misstep, but his fit was horrific as was his execution. If that dress has an easier fit, it could have been great. Personally I would have made a shirt dress. It would have the same overall shape of nipping in at the waist with a kickier skirt, but it would have been an easier fit, and the fabric, styling, and accessories could potentially make it formal enough for cocktail wear.

I cannot fathom why the jufhrd said Layana had a high score. Her craftsmanship was subpar, her fabric was a misstep and looked tortured, the silhouette wasn't flattering, and the proportions were abysmal with a too short skirt and overly long bodice.

I also cannot fathom what they were loving about Richard's dress. I get what he was going for, and he almost made it, but missing with a design like this is a always a huge miss. There was too much volume overall, and the gathered panel in the front was so unflattering as was the length of the dress. I had a hard time even looking at it. Plus her hair? Get it out of her face already.

You may have expected me to put Samantha as terrible too, but I don't think it was as terrible as the judges said. Don't get me wrong, it is awful, but it totally fits into Samantha's and her client's aesthetics. The proportions of the silhouette were spot on, and I didn't mind the mix of "princess" with leopard, but I did mind the poor craftsmanship and the color of the top.

Michelle's was my favorite of the night. It was only too bad Patricia brought down their team score enough that she wasn't a winner contender. Michelle's design was so sassy, easy, and age appropriate. The proportions are perfect, and her client was exuding joy. At this point we can only hope that Michelle will have her day in the sun. I'm rooting for her to be in the top more and more.

Stanley's design was completely elegant, despite the crotch proportion and fit. It was the right color and the right design for his statuesque client. The judges thought so too, because he won the challenge.

P.S. I hate it in a designer's exit interview when they say they have "so much more to show." Why didn't you just show it then? I suppose I understand, because it's hard to do your most quality work in this kind of competition, but at the same time, just show your best work already.

No comments:

Post a Comment