23 March 2013

Project Runway: "Take It All Off!" and "He Said, She Said"

"Take It All Off!"
It worked out that I'm behind on posting, because there is nothing worth posting about from the Thunder from Down Under challenge. I watched it like I watched a scary movie when I was a kid: mostly with my head down and only peeking through my fingers to see what was happening. Nothing good has ever come out of a PR men's challenge. It's always a catastrophe, a tragedy, and a black mark on the show. I imagine the producers think it clever and twisty to do a mens challenge, and while it is twisty, it's not so clever to demand that the designers do something that that have no training or experience to do.

The fact is that there are different branches and sub-branches of fashion, and those branches require different training, knowledge, and experience. While some methods and techniques transfer, each branch is simply a different beast. So to say "do this thing you've never done and don't have the skills for and make sure it's not complete garbage" is one of the most unrealistic demands ever made. It's like asking someone whose food prep training consists of working a fast food grill to make a four star meal for a shi-shi dinner party the next day. You'll get food on the table, but the chances of the meal being four star are virtually nonexistent.

The best part of the episode is when one of the...ahem..."dancers" said in his Australian accent, "They didn't have time for proper stitching." Like all tragedies, there was no winner. Amanda went home, mostly because of team drama.

Side note: One of my pet peeves is when reality show contestants say "I didn't come here to make friends" when they are being nasty, and this week I finally figured why it bothers me so much. Sure, I understand you didn't come to make friends, but did you really come to make enemies? Civility does not equal making friends, and holding grudges only weakens your focus as a competitor.

"He Said, She Said"
It was a relief to have a straight-up challenge this week. The designers had to create a ready-to-wear outfit inspired by the Lord & Taylor rose. No tricks or twists. However, the winner's garment would be produced by Lord & Taylor and sold in their stores. That's a pretty big deal. Yet again there was a new team breakdown, this time chosen by the judges, but each designer was responsible for their own outfit.

It was no surprise that Richard, Samantha, and Layana were the losing team. Because of last week's ridiculous drama, Richard wouldn't even talk to Layana, so of course they had nothing constructive happen as a team.

Layana was safe because the judges thought her silhouette was perfect, but her fabric choice was terrible. I don't necessarily disagree, but even if she didn't have that dated floral, I don't think the dress would've been anything new or special.

Richard made a dress that is not only similar to one he already produced this season, but one that I could easily see as a $29.99 Target special. While there's nothing wrong with Target clothes per se (I've purchased many an item there myself), it's not something you want to try and sell to Lord & Taylor.

Samantha went home this week with her effort at making a younger look, but walking straight over the junior line. The biggest mistake was the heart cutout in the back. With all the ruffles and color blocking, the heart became too much. It's also very difficult to make a clean-looking cutout that is properly stabilized. I actually liked the idea of Samantha's dress, but as I've seen throughout the season, she clearly needs to up her construction skills and hone her editing skills. I would love to see her on PR after a few years of experience.

Team Stanley and Patricia were safe this week. It was weird, because Stanley continually harassed and bullied Patricia, which of course made her mad, but in the long run it totally helped her. While I still didn't like her design, it was much more current and salable than anything she's made, and it still totally looked like Patricia.

I can't say that I liked Stanley's dress either. If you're going to make a basic, that thing better be the most well-constructed, well-proportioned, and well-fitting garment on that stage. While it was mostly okay, those front darts were so distractingly low, that I can't believe the judges didn't say anything about it. Stanley chose the length for "appeal to more than one market," but I can't imagine that many people want a mid-calf skirt.

After a little drama that I still don't understand, team Daniel and Michelle were declared the winners! I know just how Daniel felt as he burst into tears when he talked about ripping his jacket apart. When you make something, especially something you believe in, it is a heartbreak to have it not work out. (I have certainly mourned more than one project.) Since he used up so much time on that jacket, his dress was basic and not so great construction-wise. But past challenges have certainly showed that Daniel has great construction skills, so I was glad that he was safe under the umbrella of Michelle's win. The thing that's so great about Daniel is that he is amazingly positive, and 99% of the time he has the true gift of taking criticism gracefully and internalizing it to his benefit. All he needs to do is figure out how to make his aesthetic more current and he's golden. Either way he is the dearest, tenderest heart.

Michelle won the challenge, and her design was certainly the best of the lot. It was simple enough, but the layering details, colors, and fabric combinations made it a current and young winning look.

I've had a few discussions with friends, and this season really doesn't have a stand-out talent. But we have what we have so I'm predicting for the final three Michelle, Layana (even though I don't like her), and a toss up between Daniel and Stanley. I keep thinking that Stanley will be this dark horse that suddenly starts showing us amazing things. I'm not sure why I keep having these thoughts, so we'll see if they come true.

No comments:

Post a Comment