13 January 2013

Project Runway: "Couture de France"

I know that producers of reality TV are always looking for the twist, the shock, the gasps, but I thought this runway was downright mean. Sure, I gasped as Uli and Joshua were given a mini challenge, but then I was angry. Not only is it awful to give a surprise challenge after a long, arduous challenge, which came on the tails of a long arduous season, but they made the designers cut up their couture gowns. It was especially a slap in the face, because deep down everyone knew that Joshua shouldn't be in the top three. While I think he's greatly improved in attitude (and maybe a little in aesthetics) since his regular season, he still lacks construction skills, consistency, and the ability to edit.

But let's talk about the delicious part of the challenge. This week the contestants had to create a couture gown, as you know. But first they got to fly to Paris!, visit the incredible House of Valentino!, see the Valentino runway show!, and shop for couture fabrics at the world famous Janssens & Janssens! I mean, I was overjoyed, and I wasn't even going, so I can't imagine how they felt.

One of my favorite parts is when they visited the work room in Valentino and all the employees look like they're working in a laboratory with their white coats, goggles, and gloves. It was glorious.

Emilio scored the best fabric, it was absolutely gorgeous. I know the glee the judges felt as the walked up to the runway to touch the fabric. I can't describe the thrill of encountering an amazing fabric, but it was written all over their faces.

Whether his fabric choice carried him or not, he had the good sense and taste to pick this fabric in the first place, so I'm 100% behind his place in the top two. And his dress proves that less is more. If he tried to add more design elements to this, like he was originally planning, the dress would have been heavy and cumbersome. So he focused on making a well-constructed and well-proportioned yet simple garment, and it paid off.

Anthony Ryan won the challenge! I'm so glad he's in the top three. And I'm glad he pulled a second dress out of thin air, yipes! It takes a lot of courage to scrap a design under a tight deadline, but I'm sure glad he knows himself well enough to trust his instincts. At first I wasn't sure about his dress, but it really is a beauty. The design lines and panels down the sides only whispered art deco, but it gave the classic touch he needed for his modern, dark mood dress.

Uli's application of her fabric choice was thoughtful and creative. The whole dress looked like it was covered with antique gold leaf rather than gold fabric. I fully agreed with the judges' assessment about the lining and the proportions in the back, which certainly put her in the bottom after what we saw from Emilio and AR, but it was still a beautiful dress.

Oh, Joshua. I don't necessarily hate his idea, in fact I like to play with putting things together that initially seem like they would never work together (The cliché "opposites attract" does not apply only to people, right?) But his odd taste level is once again revealed in his fabric choice. That too small, bright floral looked like a Joann's special, and the white details on the black lace felt forced.  Additionally the skirt silhouette read prom to me. I also wrote in my notes "traditional Spanish on acid."

In the mini challenge, Uli and Joshua had to create whole new looks in one hour while on the runway. Again Uli was clearly the better of the two. Joshua shortened his skirt and tucked the bodice of his dress in, and Uli made a whole new dress with a sweet little jacket. No contest.

Next week we'll see AR, Emilio, and Uli make their mini collections as the battle for the win. I like all three designers, so I wouldn't mind a win from any of them, but a win from AR, my sweet southern cherub, would make me the most happy. Fingers crossed, and good luck designers!

No comments:

Post a Comment