07 January 2013

Project Runway: "All Stars & Stripes"

I thought this challenge was one of the most successful "average woman" challenges on Project Runway. It wasn't because all of the women on the show were military veterans, even though that was fantastic, it was because each client had a specific event that had specific design requirements. In the past the "average woman" challenges have had more vague parameters like "this is my lifestyle, make something that fits into it." 

It was a bit difficult to see the root of the critiques because the judges stayed smiley and positive in front of the veterans, and rightly so. It was a bit funny to see some 180s when the judges deliberated amongst themselves. 

Joshua designed for Leslie, an Army veteran. She needed a dress for black tie military events, because she wanted to be more feminine than her dress uniform allowed. I was nervous about that leopard print, but Joshua really stepped up and edited his design so hard for the first time in ever, so I do not begrudge him his win. In fact, I think this is the most edited and best challenge I've ever seen from Joshua. He might be a better designer within strict parameters, because otherwise, let's face it, he's just designing for himself if he were a woman and not actually considering what actually functions for a client. Also, puppy!

I was so scared for Anthony Ryan and his design for the Air Force veteran Donna who needed a dress for her 40th birthday party. He had really good ideas and intentions, but it's hard to know how to design for and distract from a large bust if you don't have one yourself. Sadly almost all this design features drew the eye right to the bust. First the amount of belting at the waist accentuated the bust, then AR had to resort to that weird, wide, white band to keep the dress up, and the the halter needed to angle a little more into the seam so it wouldn't gap. But his fabric choice and execution were beautiful, and I like it better in the image below than I did on the runway.

Uli, oh Uli, making another Uli dress for Marine veteran Jessica to wear to a wedding. It was executed well, but I was a bit bored with another resort style Uli dress. I was also nervous about what was or wasn't happening in the foundation garment department. 

I was more than relieved that all four designers were "in," because Emilio also had me shaking in my boots with his Vegas dress for Navy veteran Lisa. I know he chose to start over to "save time," but what he ended up with was horrific, especially in execution. The color may be the design's only redeeming quality. I think that strap in the back was zigzagged on at the last minute and pulled to within an inch of it's life. Also, two bust darts would have taken care of the sad gapping at the side. 

Based on the promo for next week (which I only saw half of), it sounded like next week was actually going to be the second to last challenge, so we really have two weeks of Project Runway: All Stars left? I could be wrong, please correct me if I am. Still rooting for AR to win the whole thing and hoping Joshua doesn't, but I feel like any of the designers could win at this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment