12 February 2013

Project Runway Teams: Surprise Me

Last week was the Heidi challenge. First of all, everyone kept saying "it's easy to dress Heidi because she is a model." Lies. It  may be easier to understand the fit work out the proportions for a model's body beforehand, and that's about it. And the designers are not just "dressing a model" in whatever they want; this challenge is very specific in purpose, and Heidi is self-admittedly picky.

Okay, so the assignment was for each team to design 6 looks that Heidi could wear in promotion of her new fragrance, Surprise. The breakdown was 4 looks as options for the ad campaign  and 2 looks as options for a red carpet press event. The designers were also restricted to using pink, gold, and black in their designs.

Team Keeping It Real wins yet again, which makes me think that they will shake up the teams next week to re-even things out. It's funny because Keeping It Real don't seem to help each other more, but they seem to be more emotionally stable as a whole. That might be taking it too far, but it feels generally true within the editing. 

Since there were two events for Heidi, there were two winners.

Daniel designed for the ad, but he won for the press event. I adore Daniel. I'm not always 100% on board with his designs, but he has obvious skill and great follow through. Plus he's a sweetheart. The dress is nothing new or special, except for what he did with the leather trim. I'm not even sure how he did it, but it looks like it's floating over the dress. And the edges are nice and rounded, but the two layers move as one.

Kate won (with Layana as her partner) for the ad. I was surprised how will their dress turned out. It's not something I would design, but they really did a good job of mixing the hard and soft. (Even though Layana did whatever she could to demoralize Kate in the workroom, and all with a smile on her face.) The bodice front is especially nice with the draped overlay. However the lacing on the back bodice went a little in the direction of...Rocky Horror Picture Show. I don't think Kate will last until the final episode due to lack of experience, and I hope Layana doesn't make it because I fear she might be a jerk behind that pretty face.

Everyone else on the team just did okay--nothing special. Except for Patricia. The judges were loving her dress, eating it with a spoon, but I absolutely hated it. I actually like the textiles she creates, but I hate how she utilizes them. I thought the dress looked sloppy, frumpy, and  drab. I mean, the underdress was made out of cheap fabric that looks manhandled when stitched, and it made the model's bust look odd. I didn't get the mountain of praise at all.

Och, there was not one dress I liked from the Dream Team. I liked the leather yoke on Michelle's dress and that's it. Nothing else was even remotely good. 

But the bottom two is where the real disappointment lies. I don't know why PR keeps casting designers over 50. I don't mean to be agist, but that age group simply hasn't performed on the fashion forward level the judges expect. I almost believe that they do it so they can have a scapegoat when needed. I certainly think Cindy was the Out scapegoat, because although her dress was...not good, Benjamin's was certainly worse. In fact I was surprised that Cindy got that taffeta to look as good as she did. It's an extremely difficult fabric to handle without puckering at the seams and hems.

I've liked Benjamin from the beginning, and I think he has it in him to do better work, but I'm absolutely shocked that he didn't go home. He should have. What he sent down the runway was basically garbage, and I think that's putting it kindly. Fit, proportion, fabric choice, and construction were all terrible. I don't even think the idea was as great as some of the designers said. But, I will wait and hope for renewed vigor and vim from Benjamin, and maybe he can still shine. 

P.S. I want gobble up Zac Posen, or at least caress his eyebrows. He's a charmer and a living doll. Also is it just me, or is all the styling this season lackluster? 


No comments:

Post a Comment