01 February 2013

Project Runway Teams: Spin Out

This week's challenge was to design new server and "ball boy" uniforms for Spin, a ping pong social club. (Yes, this is a ridiculous idea for a club, but that's not what I'm here to discuss.)

I was surprisingly inspired by this challenge. I never give any thought to uniforms or sports-like clothes in general, but I still have all these little sketches next to my notes. It's probably because I always want clothes to be practical with little fuss while still looking and feeling amazing. And that is exactly what this challenge was supposed to mean. Sadly I think most people worried about the fashions and not enough about practicality. Practicality and wearability must always take precedence with servers who are on their feet for hours and hours.

Oy, there were some painful designs, and the Dream Team had most of them again. The design I like most from their team was Michelle's. I didn't necessarily see it as "server," but there were some good things happening. The elastic detail in the back was creative, and it ensures coverage with a lot of movement. But the collar was too big for all the bending and moving a server has to do. It would drive me crazy as a server for sure.

The top three were pretty good, but there was still much to be desired. I actually thought Stanley was the most successful. Even though he didn't have enough experience with knit construction to produce a polished piece, the ideas were right. Any server could throw that outfit on and not worry about it while they focus on doing their job.

Daniel and Layana were the winners, but for me the vest was far too fussy with that student work collar. If they did a plain, fitted vest, that outfit would been more win worthy. But the practicality of the skort pulled Layana into the winning slot. As I said, practicality takes precedence.

Joseph and Richard's T-shirt was also thoughtful and great in it's simplicity. I may have toyed with the size and placement of the slogan a little more, but time crunches do not beget perfection.

The worst for me were Amanda, James, and Matthew's kilt.

Really, Amanda? Who wants to bend over in that dress and have their boobs fall out while serving? I mean, being sexy for tips is one thing, boobs in a customer's face is quite another.

Really, Matthew? Not very many men would be caught dead even looking at a kilt. Especially American men. But I need to get something out of my craw. If you choose the slogan "Balls are our business," you have already introduced a theme of vulgarity to your company, so you can't blame the designers for expanding and continuing that theme. That's not to say that the kilt was a good idea, because it wasn't, but get real Susan Sarandon.

And lastly, poor low self-esteem James is Out. He resisted critique and help so much that the changes he did make were begrudging and therefore poor. He needed someone else to blame to make himself feel better. And I'm not trying to be mean, I actually feel a bit sorry for him, and I hope that he can figure himself out. Side note: look at the models face. He looks like a sour-faced villain from a BBC period drama.

No comments:

Post a Comment