01 October 2012

Project Runway Overlaod

No posts. I know. I mean, I've been trying to make some life choices, and it takes a lot of time to procrastinate those decisions.

I have missed three Project Runway updates, which I'm actually sad about. I'm not really up to doing full rundowns of each show I missed, but maybe some general thoughts are in order.

"It's All About Me"
This episode was the now standard challenge where the designers create their own fabric. The difference was that this time the designers were asked to create a fabric that was meaningful and personal to them in the footsteps of Mondo and his HIV-related fabric design.

Dmitry won the challenge, but not necessarily for his print. He created this complicated "floating piece" jacket that mirrored his print. It was unique and interesting, but not my favorite outfit of the night. I actually think it looked a little dated, a little 90s. Also the skirt was too small in relation to the jacket.

Sonjia's outfit was my favorite. Sure those pants were...loud, but the print was fun and the fit was flawless. I also like the surprise of the low backed top.

Oddly, I also sorta liked Elena's part Hawaiian shirt, part swim cover top.  I know, don't judge me, I don't even know why. It's probably because the navy part at the bottom has pockets.

Ultimately there was a lot of blah in this episode. But Gunnar certainly had the worst in print, design, and execution. All three of these elements were overwrought. I'm not sad that he went home.

"I Get a Kick Out of Fashion"
In this challenge the designers got to design a costume to be worn by The Rockettes! The outfit had to be modern, versatile (can be worn in performances year round), and have a great stage presence.

Christopher deservedly won the challenge. He put the New York skyline across the bodice of his whole dress. It was a huge risk, because if it wasn't well-executed, it would've been a complete disaster. But it was lovely.

Dmitry also had an excellent piece. He was obviously and admittedly inspired by ballroom costumes, but that sucker's got a lot of great movement and sparkle. I still can't get over his incredible construction skills. I would let him make anything for me.

Sonjia certainly dodged a bullet with her terrible, half-hearted feather number. It was ill-fitting and it had no movement.

But Ven went home. His look was so incredibly boring and it looked like those little dresses from the 90s both in cut and fabric choice.

And to catch up, "It's Fashion, Baby"
Last week the designers had to design an outfit for Heidi's new clothing line...for babies. Babies. FOR BABIES! I hated this challenge. If I wanted to watch/hear babies, I would watch a show about babies. Designing for babies is a totally different mindset and process than women's wear. Sure, they throw curve balls at the designers all the time, but at least they're always designing for a similar market. As Dmitry siad, this challenge is like "making an outfit for a cat."

I'm not even sure how to even critique everything, because honestly, I simply don't care about this challenge. As expected there were a lot of disasters. But there were two winners, one for a girl's outfit, and one for a boy's.

Christopher won for the girl's side even though it looked like something I've seen before. I loved the Oscar de la Renta fabric in the mother's dress.

Sonjia won for the boy's side with an odd little tailored sweatsuit. I thought the color choice was a little drab for children. She also has a solid mom outfit, even though I'm generally not a fan of maxis.

The design I liked best was Fabio's. It was one piece, so it was easy, but it looked vintage European in style. Especially with the Bermuda-length pants.

Dmitry's piece was...hilarious. At first I saw a definite costume from Fahrenheit 451, then I noticed the crayon influence, which was then corroborated by Nina. (Speaking of Nina, she certainly turned into a mushy fool talking to those babies.)

And miracle of miracles, Elena finally went home. Och, that woman drives me bananas. There was so much talk about how awesome the baby jacket was, but it looked terribly fussy and hard to wear for a baby. The funny thing is I really liked her mom outfit, and I'm still wondering why she couldn't do stuff like this in the other challenges.

Next week is the final challenge, so we're nearing the end. But don't worry! Another round of Project Runway: All Stars starts October 25!

No comments:

Post a Comment