16 July 2011

Goodreads: The Hobbit

The HobbitThe Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Yes, it's true. This is the first time that I have read The Hobbit. I was a wee lass of about 10 when I first tried to read it, and I just couldn't get into it. So I decided it wasn't for me. Sure, I have since read the LOTR seriers, a couple of times in fact, and I love them. But I could not bring myself to start The Hobbit after my childhood experience. I have to say that while The Hobbit was very good, I still found myself not quite as "lost" in the story as I usually am when I read.

As compared to the LOTR series, The Hobbit definitely feels more geared to a young adult audience. There's a lot of action without a lot of laborious "history," and there's a light, jaunty tone attached to Bilbo's adventure. (After all, it was just a dangerous adventure and not a series of events that could lead to evil conquering the world.) But even though the characters were likable, there was a glaring lack of emotions or actions that helped me feel attached to them. Surprisingly, my first evaluation as a child was spot on; The Hobbit just wasn't for me.

So while I would recommend The Hobbit to anyone, it will never be among my favorites.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment